Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Author Topic: Localised key signature names - inconsistencies  (Read 84 times)

pheldal

Localised key signature names - inconsistencies
« on: January 13, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »
Bandhelper apparently  support localised key signature names (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_signature_names_and_translations). In general settings it is possible to enable national "chord names", but the effect of that setting is inconsistent ... or maybe I'm missing something. This is what I experience:

My country (Norway), like many European countries, uses the German notation (B=H and Bb=B) for chords.
  • I start without Norwegian chord-names enabled with a song in B-minor (Bm).
  • Enable the Norwegian chord-names and open the same song and the app still displays a Bm, not Hm.
  • Transpose up and I see Hm. Should have been C. Other chords are transposed correctly so the result is junk. The English combination of B and F# has now become B and G
  • If I keep transposing up and down chords adjust properly, but the B's that initially failed to display as H's remain 1/2-step too low

It looks as if the app fails to apply the chord-translation when the song first is opened. What was an English B is then handled as a German B (eng Bb) and thus off 1/2-step.

Ideally the translation of signature names should apply transparently for the user for both input and output in all the chord-relevant fields (text with embedded chords, chords-field and the key-field for the song), and in every context that information is displayed or printed.

arlo

• Administrator
Re: Localised key signature names - inconsistencies
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 07:19:34 PM »
This setting doesn't change the chords that you've entered, it only tells the app how to handle the chords you've entered. So if you copy and paste a song that doesn't use German-style names but you want to use them, you will have to edit the chords yourself.

pheldal

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »
This setting doesn't change the chords that you've entered, it only tells the app how to handle the chords you've entered. So if you copy and paste a song that doesn't use German-style names but you want to use them, you will have to edit the chords yourself.
So you don't support the use of both German and English chord-names at the same time? 

As a long-time user of computer-assisted audio-tools I prefer English despite having been taught the German system ages ago. Most people I play with OTOH prefer German chord-names.

arlo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:21 AM »
So you don't support the use of both German and English chord-names at the same time? 

Not really. The German Chord Names setting is per-user, but if you wanted some users to have a different setting than others, then those users would have to use Personal Sync to enter their own chords.

I don't think you'd want to intermingle the two different styles of chords beyond that, otherwise you could make mistakes in playing if you think a song is showing one style but it's actually showing the other. (And the app would need a way to know which style you intend to use each time you enter some chords.)