Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Auto Scroll - 'adapt' feature??

Started by themetallikid, October 17, 2023, 05:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themetallikid

Hey, I've debated adding this request or idea a few times, but I feel it would be warranted in some use cases, however I'm not sure how to implement it best in this request (thats where your smarts come in maybe).

I use the auto scroll button with a timer to countdown when that scroll happens.  However, I have over 200 songs in my library, and most times though I have a setlist, will jump around depending on crowd or how I'm doing for time.   This works great, except when I have a document/song that seems to scroll too slow or fast.  Easy fix, generally...just adapt the BPM right? 

However I tend to not remember which songs are the problem songs after the show, so I end up with the same sorta random ones being an issue.  I do not have the need to practice songs much that are in my list so I don't run into the problem until its during the performance of that song. 

Enough babbling...   What I'm wondering is if there is a way to add a feature where the scroll manipulation would add/subtract to the saved song bpm calculation in some way.  Maybe in .5 bpm incremements when it is turned on.

Most of my songs are pretty well timed, but I have about a dozen or so that sometimes I get to the bottom of the screen and its barely starting its autoscroll movement, I have others where it starts autoscrolling just on edge of where I can keep up.   Adding/deleting spaces in the document (I upload a PDF) is sometimes easier on paper than to implement, especially cause I tend to keep the same spacing format for most songs. 

Would this be a feasible feature request?  I know there is the one feature that creates the faster auto scrolling that you advised on how to turn off, but its not so much in the performance that moment that I need the adaptation it'd be for it to remember the 'new' bpm/speed so the next time I pull up the song instead of being at 140, its saved automatically at 140.5.

hope that makes sense in some way, lol

arlo

First, the auto-scroll function doesn't use the Tempo field in any way.

Do you know how to manually set the auto-scroll duration and therefore the speed? This is described in the Auto-Scrolling tutorial:

https://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/autoscrolling.html

I think you're asking if the app can automatically adjust the auto-scroll settings saved for a song after you manually override the scrolling during performance. That feels like a solution that is more complicated than the problem, and could create new problems if, for example, you did a one-time variation of a song but didn't want the auto-scroll settings to be changed for next time.

I would suggest simply noting the songs that need adjustment so you can tweak those settings before your next performance. You could print a set list and make a mark next to the songs that need attention, or if you want to do everything on your device, you could add a custom field named "Needs adjustment" and set its sort order to 1 so it appears high up on the edit page. Then during a performance, you can click the song edit button, click the Needs Adjustment field, type an X and click Save. Then you can make a smart list containing songs where that field is not empty.

Darug

With an Irig Pageturn, you can scroll faster to the next bit.

themetallikid

Arlo - I see your point.

Would there be a way to make a mark or note to flag it for later and easier viewing that it needs adjustment.  Maybe an extra field that can be added to a layout that then could be used in a smart filter in a way?  that way while finishing that song, you could mark the song on your screen (and others as necessary).  Then after your performance do a search for that flag and fix those ones?   

Not sure how feasible that is coding wise. 

arlo

Yes, I described how to do that in my previous message.

Neill00

@themetallikid, when you're setting up your scroll do have recordings of the original song attached to the song so you can figure out how kind the duration should be and how long the pre roll should be?