Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Issue with Managing personal data

Started by dr_rollo, December 28, 2023, 05:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_rollo

I'm using BandHelper now since 7 years, started with Setlistmaker already in 2012. I like this app, appreciate the ongoing developing and great support! But there is one thing that causing some issues from time to time, and that's the way to manage user's personal data.
Normally I'm the one who creates new songs, add a document and an audio file, assign it to all my band mates. I noticed that users which have Added Data permissions cannot annotate my documents. When I'm give them edit all data permissions they can annotate, but then all users see their annotations. So they need to add their own documents just to add their own annotations. Unfortunately it's a bit inconvenient to add a file to the BandHelper app before can add it to a song, ad least if you have only AddedData permissions. You need to admit first to your documents, then edit the song to add the document. With AllData you can directly edit the song and add a new document from Dropbox, OneDrive, from iPad or other sources, and then it is not assigned yours for yourself, but for all users by default. You need to uncheck all other users, keep only yourself and should move it to the top of the list, that it will be displayed as the main doc for you when selecting a song. For one of my band mates I removed the AllData access, because he crashes songs for other users some time, by deleting docs, changed the order of the docs and others. So I would prefer with AddedData for all my mates as default, which makes the work with the app inconvenient again for them. Here I see some improvement.

arlo

If you want Added Data users to add annotations that only they see, they can turn on Settings > Account Sync > Personal Sync > Document Annotations for themselves.

dr_rollo

that might work for a users with all data permissions, but a user with added data is not able to add anotations to a document that's not added by himself.

arlo

Did you try it? It works when I try it.

dr_rollo

For Documents you did not added by yourself you can create annotations, but it will only shown when you open the toolbar on the right and select the annotate icon. When you switch to another song you, you need to open the toolbar again and klick on the annotate icon. Yes, those annotations were stored with your user data, but it's always an additional action to get it shown up.
I created a screen recording to demonstrate it.https://youtube.com/shorts/r68qq1isiv4?feature=share

arlo

It looks like a user with personal annotations turned off can add annotations anyway, but they only appear while editing. That's a bug that will be fixed in the next update. But did you try this with personal annotations turned on? That setting isn't shown in your video.

arlo

Added Data users with personal annotations turned off will not be able to add or edit personal annotations in the new version 2024-01-12 released today.