Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

BandHelper and DMX (Luminaire ? or similar ) help required.

Started by cfautley, April 19, 2024, 06:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfautley

I use BandHelper to connect to a widijack via Bluetooth, to send midi to a gt1000core to set guitar patches - this works great. Pressing a song on BandHelper sets my pedalboard switches/patches for that song.
What I'd also like to do is set the colour on our band lights for each song. I'm very flexible on how to do this and I'm interested on how others have done this.
Ideally another ipad app that receives the midi signals sent from BandHelper and sends DMX via WiFi? - can BandHelper connect to a Bluetooth device and another midi device at the same time maybe?
Or maybe a physical midi to DMX device ?
So, in summary,  I'm looking for one press on a BandHelper song to set my pedalboard patch (this bit works already) AND sets the DMX lights on the same press.
Any help or experience appreciated

arlo

Hopefully someone else can suggest a specific lighting controller to use. I can say that all the connections options you mentioned -- virtual MIDI (meaning another app on the same device), Bluetooth or a MIDI cable should work.

Zionplayer

Is similar to what I do - BandHelper sends Bluetooth to my Fractal for guitar setup, and same iPad runs Photon2 that BH sends MIDI to: this sends Wifi DMX to my network where I have an ArtNet device (dmxking) connected for lighting changes. I have various BH MIDI presets for light changes and run an automation on song selection for initial Fractal Setup and light scene setup per song (and turns Reverb off on my mixer for speaking parts), then my Fractal will also send MIDI commands on Fractal 'scene changes' to change light scenes as I run through the song. I also have a footswitch connected to Fractal that sends 'Blackout' Light scene for the end of each song, or whenever I choose to... 

Is not flawless and takes some tap dancing sometimes, but I am playing guitar and running lights and mixing sound from stage, so that is to be expected. Maybe I should get 3 cuts for my trouble?

cfautley

That sounds like what I am wanting. How does photon2 connect to DMX ? - are there  different versions of photon2 or is it a once off cost? Do I need additional hardware or is it all software?
Much appreciated

Zionplayer

Hey - no that is not it. If I understand it correctly, that device will take a DMX wired signal and create a wireless connection to other DMX receivers.  (FYI - I do use similar to the QuickDMX transmitter and receivers in my setup, works great and I don't have to run any DMX cables)

The missing piece from my setup would be an ArtNet connection, basically interpreting from your wireless router by CAT5 connection to a DMX connection (in my case a wireless DMX transmitter)

This is similar to what I have https://dmxking.com/downloads/eDMX1%20MAX%20User%20Manual%20(EN).pdf
Mine was discontinued

With BandHelper and Photon on the same iPad they connect seamlessly, I don't remember doing anything to make that happen

Slowhand

Hi,
that is exactly how I use it, my setup is this:
iPad -> Bandhelper sends MIDI-PC to the Luminair-App to trigger pre-programmed scenes/programs.
I trigger a start message/blackout/basic lighting scene with a bluetooth controller to bandhelper.
And yes, it works with the app in the background!
The iPad is connected to my own stage-Wifi, from the Wifi-router there's a wired connection to a  Ethernet-DMX Interface from Enttec (Artnet) - not sure if this is still available. From there I connect my lights via conventional DMX cables (although some lights have additional wireless connections).
That works fine for me, there is a minimal time-delay, but no problem for simple light control.

If you need more information don't hesitate to ask,
Christian

cfautley

Or do I need a router too if taking to gig? Connect the edmx device to the router via Ethernet and iPad to router via router's WiFi ?

Slowhand

Correct, for this setup you need a wifi-router, and the DMX-Interface is connected via Ethernet.

For the time I don't know if there is a DMX-Interface which can handle Artnet via USB from an iPad to get rid of the router.

The simpler and (cheaper) way may be a dedicated DMX-controller with a MIDI Port. Then you setup your lights via this controller and just send MIDI from the iPad to recall the scenes. There are some devices which can send/recieve MIDI via Bluetooth, like this one from Yamaha: https://de.yamaha.com/de/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

Slowhand

OK, I See you already have a Bluetooth Midi device, no Problem to connect more of them simultaneously.