Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

"Download Error" - missing documents

Started by joebear, June 01, 2015, 07:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joebear

Seeing that a document record has a name should not be taken as an indication that a file has been uploaded. The presence of a file is indicated by a document icon in the File column of the Documents list, and a non-zero value in the Size column.

I get that the fact that the record having a name should not necessarily an indicator that a file is attached. My issue here is two-fold:
1) the name of the field to hold the record name is entitled simply 'Name', which may be mis interpreted as File Name rather than Document Name; and
2) the default name of the Document after import is _exactly_ the filename, reinforcing the misinterpretation in 1)

The rest of your comments are about the alert messages in the app, and yes, I could redesign the alert interface, cache the messages, display them in a summary, display them in the web interface instead, etc. But that would be a lot of work, and all the alerts will go away when you just upload your files, so it seems like not a good thing to prioritize given all the other things I want to do with this product.

I think we are talking past each other here.

I'm NOT talking about detecting 'missing file' errors in BH-iPad, caching them, and later sending them to BH-web for reporting.

I AM talking about detecting and reporting the 'missing file' in BH-web - where: 1) there are first visible (e.g. after import); 2) there are more resources available to the user to deal with the issue; and 3) they can't interrupt a live performance (assuming the iPad is more likely to be used for live performance than is a tower+monitor+keyboard+mouse...

If I am understood. I'll drop it. It's your baby. I just think things could be improved for your users. I may be missing some consideration.

arlo

Yes, I understand your points and agree that this particular workflow could be smoother. I think the only consideration you're missing is that I have more ideas than I have time to implement, so prioritization is essential. If I'm not doing something it doesn't mean it's not a good idea, it just means I'm working on other things that I believe will have an even bigger benefit for my users.

joebear

Quote from: arlo on June 12, 2015, 11:22:45 PM
I have more ideas than I have time to implement, so prioritization is essential.

Understood. I'll drop it.

What about the my inability to add a file to a document in BH-iPad as illustrated in Reply #12 of this thread. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

arlo

Quote from: joebear on June 14, 2015, 07:01:01 PM
What about the my inability to add a file to a document in BH-iPad as illustrated in Reply #12 of this thread. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

I'll retest the workflow of attaching a file in the app and see if there are any problems with that. Meanwhile, can you eliminate the problem by attaching the file in the web interface?

joebear

Quote from: arlo on June 14, 2015, 11:34:51 PM
can you eliminate the problem by attaching the file in the web interface?

Yes, that worked for the files for which I have attached to docs in BH-web. I have refrained from doing so for three files. Would you like for me to try with the one I have been testing with? That would leave me with two in the control group.

arlo

I think you should just go ahead and attach all your files to eliminate the alert messages. I can test this with my own data.

arlo

FYI, I just updated the document and recording edit pages in the web interface to show some info about the file if a file is attached, or a "MISSING FILE" label if not. So now you can see this from the list pages or the edit pages.

joebear

FYI, I just updated the document and recording edit pages in the web interface to show some info about the file if a file is attached, or a "MISSING FILE" label if not. So now you can see this from the list pages or the edit pages.

Yes - that makes it clear.

Another wrinkle to this issue - I found the following in your glossary:

document: a word processing, text or image file that you can attach to a song and view within the app

...but I think we established upthread that the document os not the file, but rather metadata about the file, correct?

arlo

Quote from: arlo on June 15, 2015, 03:54:11 PM
document: a word processing, text or image file that you can attach to a song and view within the app

...but I think we established upthread that the document os not the file, but rather metadata about the file, correct?

Yes, but so far, that definition hasn't been a problem for anyone. The main reason for that definition is to distinguish between a document and lyrics, which does throw people off sometimes.

arlo

Quote from: joebear on June 14, 2015, 07:01:01 PM

I found a problem with this on iOS and a different problem on Android and fixed them both today. Those fixes will be available in the next update for each platform.

joebear

Quote from: arlo on June 17, 2015, 06:31:22 PM
I found a problem with this on iOS and a different problem on Android and fixed them both today. Those fixes will be available in the next update for each platform.

Score! Thanks for the prompt update!