Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI interface recommendations for Android

Started by arlo, June 08, 2015, 10:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

If you use a USB MIDI interface with an Android device, what are you using and would you recommend it to others?

For my testing, I've been using this super cheap adapter from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LJUVO4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001LJUVO4&linkCode=as2&tag=setlist-20&linkId=EZTBIDKKXB42RJB5

I wouldn't necessarily recommend it because I always have to plug and unplug the cable from the tablet a few times before the tablet recognizes it. But once it is connected, the connection seems reliable. I haven't used it on stage, only for testing the app functions.

Please add your experiences here!

OldGuitarDude

Hi Arlo,

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro tablet with a single USB port (Micro-b USB3). Attached to the tablet is a 6" Micro USB 3.0 Male-to-Female OTG adapter (Cable Matters 2-pack sells for $7.99 on Amazon) then to a Roland UM-ONE usb/midi interface. The 5-pin "MIDI OUT" end of the Roland cable connects to a MIDI IN socket on my Roland GR-55 guitar synth.

Typically I boot the GR-55 first, power up the tablet, connect the OTG cable to the tablet, then launch Set List Maker (Great job Arlo). It has always found the synth on the first midi patch change event. When the band goes on break I usually turn off the display (one tap on the power button). After the break I wake up the tab with another tap on the power button, then test communication with another patch change. This method has been very reliable for me. No problems with the UM-ONE or Set List Maker.

I play with several bands and 2 "duo" combos. My primary use for SLM is lyrics and managing patch changes on the synth. 

arlo

Great recommendation. The current model is the "UM-ONE mk2":

https://amzn.to/2O4ZRJf

RR

As written in the Midi Failure Thread I cannot recommend the one Arlo has depicted above. It works quite well on my Galaxy NotePro 12.2 on Android 4.4.2, but only with the Midi Commander App, not with Bandhelper.

I have tried successfully the
+ Roland UM-ONE (39 Euros)
+ M-Audio UNO (29 Euros)
I can see all data coming and going in the Status window and the LEDs tell me if there are MIDI packages sent or received.

I still have to figure out how to flip pages / songs in bandhelper via Midi...

rtichenberg

thx so much.  have been considering the samsung pro note along with my existing roland midi interface which i love.  makes my decision much easier.

Sent from my PLT9609G using Tapatalk

arlo

Quote from: RR on August 20, 2015, 07:27:14 AM
As written in the Midi Failure Thread I cannot recommend the one Arlo has depicted above. It works quite well on my Galaxy NotePro 12.2 on Android 4.4.2, but only with the Midi Commander App, not with Bandhelper.

Actually, an app update on February 19, 2016 may have improved the compatibility with these lower-cost interfaces. Do you still have yours to try it with?