Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Windows 10/surface client?

Started by lasdan, July 31, 2015, 04:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lasdan

Hi!

Anuy plans for a Windows 10 / Microsoft Surface client for Bandhelper?

Lasse

arlo

No, I only have plans to continue with the iOS, Android and web versions at this time.

Neill00

It's been another year and a half since this request.  Any change in the plans for Microsoft surface?

arlo

Sorry, no. I'm still busy improving the apps on iOS and Android.

Neill00

Ouch...lol
To be honest, I don't even have a surface but thought it would be a great size and platform for this app.  i guess since the computer platform is web-based, there isn't any way to just add the player portion, meaning you'd have to build it up from scratch.  I get it.

arlo

Yes, it would involve rewriting the whole app in a third programming language.

Large tablets are available for iOS and Android, of course!

Neill00

Not to belabour the point, but there may be a solution.  There are a couple of android emulators out there for the surface.  One is called "Bluestacks" and the other "Andy the Android Emulator".  The second is more processor intensive so you would need a decent surface, but perhaps offers a better android experience.   I guess the only thing to be cautious of, would be whether connecting for midi and Bluetooth control is possible, which is key for me.   Just thought I'd make you aware in case you weren't already.

arlo

I've tried BandHelper in Bluestacks for Mac and it worked surprisingly well. However, I don't remember if it supported Bluetooth or MIDI.

Neill00

Just came across this, I think so far it looks like the best option.  http://www.amiduos.com/

Neill00

Bought the surface, couldn't get my irig BlueBoard to play nice with it and couldn't get it to send midi out the USB port.  So it's packed up and going back....sigh!!!

I just wanted to add, that I'm disappointed the surface 4 is a slick machine and the perfect size for me.   

Neill00

Arlo, what if it was really easy for you to port your Android code over to windows? Not wanting to give up on this, I stumbled across this.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Inside-Windows-Platform/Project-Astoria-Build-great-Windows-apps-with-your-Android-app-code#comments

Maybe you could try it out and if it's as easy as it looks you could continue on with it.  You can just send in your Android code, they'll let you know what you need to do.

It may be a couple of years off but I think this (running full operating systems on tablets) is the future and this may be the interim solution. You can just keep up with the android version, and with a few lines of code your windows version is updated as well.  I'll go back out tomorrow and buy another surface if you need a beta tester/guinea pig.

Neill00

So the focus has shifted to porting iOS apps?  Does that look difficult?  Obviously you're way ahead of me on this.  Is this Xamarin tool any good?

arlo

I think the porting tools might work for simple apps that don't use much device functionality. My app uses lots of system frameworks for things like remote control, audio playback and MIDI, so I would still have to rewrite all that code. Then would porting even be worth it, because you'd have the extra headache of maintaining compatibility with the porting tools, and the porting tools themselves creating bugs and development roadblocks.

I haven't looked too deeply into Xamarin, but that would still require rewriting the app again. I suspect that that also works better with simpler apps. In any case, I think to really do it right, you just have to write a native app.

I don't want to expose too much of my thinking here, but I'll just say it's a mistake to think that supporting a new platform is anything less than an enormous undertaking and a huge investment.

Neill00

I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm really grateful for BandHelper and set list maker.  I understand its demanding to upkeep both platforms and to take on a 3rd is a lot to ask.  I was just hoping for an easy solution.