Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Struggling with the auto scrolling of lyric files

Started by Danny, August 03, 2015, 02:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny

Hi guys

I have been using slm for ages, I always use list view with a single speaker Icon in a narrow split screen to stop and start the songs,

So I am working on a new act and will need to play guitar and use lyrics for a few weeks till the songs are glued in my brain.

I have added the lyrics to my new songs in iTunes, and they appear in the different layouts of slm, what I can't understand is this, I have enabled auto scroll of lyrics and open lyrics and documents on song selection in the automation page, but I can't get these features to work properly.

Is there a layout that I should be using when I want song selection to open the lyrics as large as possible and auto scroll them ?

Thanks

Kev

arlo

I would be able to diagnose this more quickly if you send a message from Help > Request Tech Support and answer the two questions there.

Danny

Will do

I think I might be expecting something completely different to what's on offer.

When I select a layout where the auto scroll works, I realise that it leaves most of the text in view untill the obscured text needs to be seen, I was expecting the first line of the song to dissapear for example after it has been sung, but I suspect this is not the option on offer.

Many thanks

Danny

arlo

The first line of text won't disappear until it needs to, in order to show later lines of text. Does that answer your question?

If the app were to hide each line of text as soon as you sang it, the auto-scroll timing would have to match the pace of your singing much more exactly and there would be more cases of losing your place in the lyrics.

That said, if you increased your text size so much that only one line fit on the screen at a time, you'd essentially get the behavior you're describing.

Danny

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on August 05, 2015, 08:02:42 AM
The first line of text won't disappear until it needs to, in order to show later lines of text.

Hi Arlo,

Is that calculated by the size of the text and/or line spacing, combined with the duration that is entered by the user for the song?

As much as I love SLM, the auto scrolling is still the one area where I seem to struggle at times...getting the `formula' right.
Sometimes when I tap on the auto scroll button the lyrics scroll right away, while other times it shows a countdown timer before scrolling begins.

What is the correct way to set auto scrolling up so that when the button is tapped, scrolling begins immediately? Should the first line of lyrics be at the very top of the page (meaning no title)?

Thanks.

arlo

Why do you want scrolling to begin immediately? If you did that, you would also have to start singing immediately, or else the first line of text would scroll off the page before you sing it; and then you would have to keep singing at exactly the right speed or else you'll lose lyrics. It's better to keep the lyrics you are currently singing around the middle of the page; that's the purpose of the auto-scroll pre-roll. This also allows the song to have an intro before the singing begins. So, the duration of the pre-roll should roughly equal the duration of the intro plus the time that it takes to sing the first half-page of lyrics. If scrolling begins at that point, your current lyrics will remain roughly in the middle of the screen.

But to answer your question, you can eliminate the pre-roll by setting Settings > Automation > Calculate Auto-Scroll Duration to Manual, and then setting the Auto-Scroll Pre-Roll to 0 in your songs.

Pongo

Thanks for the instructions on how to disable the pre-roll. I can say emphatically that this does NOT resolve my problem consistently. Sometimes it works, but other times it still adds some [what appears to be] random countdown before the scrolling begins.

Using auto-scroll in an automation track has so far yielded varying results for me.

arlo

If you would like me to troubleshoot that, please use the Help > Request Tech Support button and answer the questions in reference to a specific example.

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on August 07, 2015, 11:32:56 AM
If you would like me to troubleshoot that, please use the Help > Request Tech Support button and answer the questions in reference to a specific example.

Request submitted. There's absolutely no rush on this; I know you likely have more important things to focus on.

Thanks Arlo.