Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

BandHelper - Setting up users, with custom settings etc

Started by leadsinga, August 16, 2015, 06:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leadsinga

Hi Arlo,

Finally after months of procrastinating I sat down and spent a few days getting my head around the move from Setmaker to Bandmaker ... Have used Bandmaker 4 gigs in a row with no issues and am sold on it ... certainly a step up from Setmaker and I am loving it now!

So part 2 of the change is now setting up the other 2 guys ipads and getting them on as users.

I know how to get them on to it as a user, but what I need to understand is what setting to change so that when they sync the first time they get all of the recordings, setlists etc but when they change lyrics, add exta notes and chords etc they don't stuff up my stuff as I am the master and I won't be giving them web etc.

The idea is I want to sync 4 ipads when playing live, so that when I select a song/recording, their screens will refresh to show what I see, but as time goes on, they will have their chords, charts etc opening up.

So I am in control and instead of everyone looking at different formats they all get the write song selected and opening up etc.

Also I am looking at a new Mackie Ipad desk, so will want to dock an ipad and control playback via my device.

I am 99% sure how to get everything setup, just not sure on how to give them their own user only settings :-)

Thanks.

p.s. can you just let me know when my current plan expires ... think its Oct 2015 but just want to make sure I don't miss cut offs ... assume I get a reminder anyway but just checking :-)

arlo

Finally after months of procrastinating I sat down and spent a few days getting my head around the move from Setmaker to Bandmaker ... Have used Bandmaker 4 gigs in a row with no issues and am sold on it ... certainly a step up from Setmaker and I am loving it now!

All right, that's what I like to hear. :-)

I know how to get them on to it as a user, but what I need to understand is what setting to change so that when they sync the first time they get all of the recordings, setlists etc but when they change lyrics, add exta notes and chords etc they don't stuff up my stuff as I am the master and I won't be giving them web etc.

First, you cannot exclude access to the web interface. Everyone who has access to data in the app also has access to the same data in the web interface.

Second, if your bandmates want to add their own lyrics, chords or notes, they can enable the corresponding settings in Settings > Account Sync > Personal Sync. This will turn on extra lyrics, chords and notes fields that they can enter their personal data into. But this does not prevent them from editing the shared lyrics, chords and notes fields.

This means if you want to be sure your bandmates don't edit the shared data that you entered, you should help them turn on the personal sync settings and show them the dual fields and show them where to enter their data. I've rarely if ever seen a situation where a band member edits data they're not supposed to, so I don't believe it would be worthwhile to add the kind of restrictions on data access that you're describing. If someone does make a mistake, you can roll back any changes from the history list in the left column of the edit pages in the web interface, or from the Settings > Account Sync > Roll Back button in the app.

If you really want to deny access to your lyrics, chords and notes, you can enter all of these into your own personal sync fields. But then nobody will be able to see what you've entered and will have to enter all their own info. I don't recommend that unless the data you're entering is unique to you and nobody else will want to see it.

You can also set users as read only, but then they won't be able to edit the info you entered or edit any info of their own. This is best for part-time band members, or for band leaders who are absolute control freaks!

p.s. can you just let me know when my current plan expires ... think its Oct 2015 but just want to make sure I don't miss cut offs ... assume I get a reminder anyway but just checking :-)

You can go to Account > Billing in the web interface and see your expiration date in the left column.