Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Impossible to create a new stageplot with the android-app

Started by pheldal, November 19, 2015, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pheldal

Tapping the + to create a new stageplot doesn't seem to have any effect. The + works to add notes within the stageplot module, but to no create new stagaplots.

Tested on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Active with android 5.0.1, a Nexus 7 tablet with Android 5.1.1 (CM12.1), and a Nexus 7 with Android 6.0.

(additional info sent from BH on one of the devices)

arlo

Oops, I see that. I just fixed it in my working copy and I'll submit a new version in the next few days. (If not today, then probably Sunday because I don't like submitting releases on Friday or Saturday.)

pheldal

No sweat. Stageplot isn't that much of a priority for me. Was just messing about with the new features.

Not rushing out updates on or just before weekends is a good idea. Even better would be to offer a n-1 version (previous) separately in the app-store and on google-play. Some app-developers offer access to beta-versions, but that doesn't help much unless a significant number of users choose to install and use the beta. Access to the previous release of any app can be a life-saver if a buggy version is suddenly released and your performance depend heavily on access to the apps data.

arlo

Even better would be to offer a n-1 version (previous) separately in the app-store and on google-play.

Unfortunately, none of the app stores I've used support that.

pheldal

Quote from: arlo on November 19, 2015, 03:38:00 PM
Unfortunately, none of the app stores I've used support that.
Not implicitly, but there's nothing preventing a developer from distributing current and previous versions as two separate apps.

arlo

Actually, Apple's App Store guidelines do prohibit duplicate apps. Even so, here are some reasons not to do this:

1) The apps would become separate installations on your device, with separate data, and no built-in way to migrate data between them. So if you were running the current version, and then decided to install the n-1 version, you would have to reinstall all the data into that and reenter all the settings.

2) You would have to pay separately for the two versions, including all the in-app purchases. I would predict much anger directed toward me if someone had a problem, and wanted to install the n-1 version, and found out they had to buy it again.

3) Many first-time users would be confused by the two versions in the store, or install the n-1 version instead of the current version, which would defeat the purpose of this scheme.

4) My app release workflow (which is easier for Android but can be very difficult for iOS) would be doubled for every release, requiring significant additional time that could be spent improving the app in other ways.

I know from experience on other issues: when Apple or Google decide that they don't want something to happen on their platform, attempts to work around their wishes are not likely to be successful.