Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Set List Maker, iConnectMidi and Cantabile VST host = help!

Started by leeskeys, September 07, 2015, 07:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeskeys

Here's my set up: iPad with SLM, connected to my PC via iConnectMidi2. VSTs are being managed with Cantabile 3 (beta).
Goal: send midi changes from SLM to Cantabile via iConnect to effect session state (song) changes in Cantabile when I swipe to next song in SLM set list. Each session state can be assigned a midi program number.

What I've done:
1. plugged iPad into USB1, PC into USB2 on iConnect.

2. Set up midi input/output ports in Cantabile for iConnect (yes all iConnect ports are recognized in Cantabile).

3. Assigned midi program number 1 to one of my songs in Cantabile.

4. Added a new midi device in SLM called iConnect. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y9TBtkNh3sU3lQU1VvQ3JiMU0/view?usp=sharing

iConnect is recognized in SLM  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y9TBtkNh3sZlEzeGdUWm9QNm8/view?  usp=sharing

5. Created new midi preset in SLM for Program 1. From what I understand about the set up process in Cantabile, MSB/LSB numbers are not needed- just program numbers. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y9TBtkNh3sUUY2NEIyanZMRjQ/view?usp=sharing

6. Pressed midi preset icon in SLM. Nothing happens. Because iConnect is recognized in both Cantabile and SLM and because I have Cantabile configured correctly ( according to the developer), I ASSUME that the problem lies with the midi send from SLM to Cantabile not being configured correctly.

I'd be lying if I said that I have more than a basic understanding of midi and frankly I've set this up on guess work, not sure knowledge of the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would really like to get this to work!

arlo

What is supposed to happen when you send the MIDI preset?

Do you have indicators on the MIDI interface or in the receiving software that tells you whether the MIDI messages are getting there?

leeskeys

When the midi message arrives, it should trigger a change in preset configuration, based on the midi program number assigned to that configuration.

There is an indicator light in Cantabile which glows when midi input is received from my keyboard. However, when I press the midi preset icon in SLM, that indicator does not glow- which suggests to me (based on my limited understanding) that the midi message is not being received by Cantabile.

arlo

How about on the MIDI interface, does that have an indicator that tells you if the MIDI message is getting that far?

leeskeys

hmmm. On the iConnectMidi2+ the only light which is green is the power light. Nothing lights up when I press a Midi Preset in SLM. In fact, nothing lights up when I press keys on my midi controller. Should I be seeing some lights when I do that? I already mentioned that the midi input port light in Cantabile does not glow when I press a Midi Preset in SLM. One other thing. The iConnectivity iConfig iPad app does recognize the iConnect Midi as being attached.

arlo

I don't know the details of how the MIDI interface works, but most have a light that flashes when it passes MIDI through. That would help us isolate the problem, if it has that feature.

When you send the MIDI preset from Set List Maker, does the MIDI icon in the top toolbar flash? If so, we know the message is being sent. We don't know if it is the iConnectMidi MIDI interface or the Cantabile software that is not receiving it.

Does the iConnect iPad app have an ability to send MIDI messages, and are those received by Cantabile? That would also help narrow down the problem.

leeskeys

I don't know the details of how the MIDI interface works, but most have a light that flashes when it passes MIDI through. That would help us isolate the problem, if it has that feature.

When you send the MIDI preset from Set List Maker, does the MIDI icon in the top toolbar flash? If so, we know the message is being sent. We don't know if it is the iConnectMidi MIDI interface or the Cantabile software that is not receiving it.

When I press the Midi preset button, it just grays out and remains grayed out.

Does the iConnect iPad app have an ability to send MIDI messages, and are those received by Cantabile? That would also help narrow down the problem.

I don't think so.

arlo

When I press the Midi preset button, it just grays out and remains grayed out.

The MIDI icon in the top toolbar doesn't blink? In that case, please send a message from Help > Request Tech Support and answer the first question by specifying the buttons you are pressing to send a MIDI preset.

leeskeys

thanks. I'm also going to try this a different way using the Music IO app for ipad/windows. http://musicioapp.com/

leeskeys

I'm beginning to think that SLM is not set up to transmit Midi in the way I need it to. I tried another "bridge" using Music IO (http://musicioapp.com/). It worked fine for channeling IOS music apps such as Magellan into my host, so I know there's communication going on between the iPad and PC. But it didn't recognize SLM as a viable app- maybe because it's not a musical instrument app?

I also wonder if SLM will transmit midi via USB. For both iConnect and Music IO to work, the iPad has to be connected via USB, not midi cables. I never had any problem getting SLM to transmit midi directly to my keyboards via midi cables, but in the current scenario, I'm asking it to transmit to another computer via USB midi.

Thoughts?

Christoph

I can confirm that iConnect MIDI interfaces are working perfectly with Set List Maker and BandHelper, I actually use the 2+ and 4+ and regard them as probably the best iOS MIDI interfaces available.

If you do not see the green lights blinking when sending or receiving MIDI then there is no data going through the interface. Things to check:

1) Are you pressing the correct icon in SLM? This should NOT be the symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen - this is for switching MIDI on/off in general and it grays out when it's off - but the MIDI preset symbol in the set list or document view.

2) Have you linked the MIDI preset in SLM to any song? Otherwise you would not see the MIDI button as described in 1) Alternatively, use the MIDI icon directly next to the preset's name in the list of MIDI presets.

3) Check sending and receiving MIDI with another iOS app, this would make sure that your iConnect configuration is correct.

leeskeys

1) Are you pressing the correct icon in SLM? This should NOT be the symbol in the upper right hand corner of the screen - this is for switching MIDI on/off in general and it grays out when it's off - but the MIDI preset symbol in the set list or document view.

I'm not home now, but I do know that at least part of the time I was pressing the Midi on/off switch.

2) Have you linked the MIDI preset in SLM to any song? Otherwise you would not see the MIDI button as described in 1) Alternatively, use the MIDI icon directly next to the preset's name in the list of MIDI presets.

I have linked the midi preset to a song, and did not get any results that way, but again, I need to verify that midi was turned on.

3) Check sending and receiving MIDI with another iOS app, this would make sure that your iConnect configuration is correct.

Question: When you set up the midi preset in SLM, are you selecting "all" as your port. Or one of the iConnect options?

arlo

Question: When you set up the midi preset in SLM, are you selecting "all" as your port. Or one of the iConnect options?

As a general rule, it is better to select All, unless you have a specific need to target your messages to an individual port.

leeskeys

So basically, there's nothing special to set up in SLM to make this work. I need to:

• create a new midi preset
  • select "all" as the port
  • fill in appropriate msb/lsb/program info
  • name the preset and attach it to a song
  • swipe to that song in my set list
Correct?

If I do these things, SLM will send the  message

arlo

You need one more step. You need to either tap the MIDI icon for the selected song, or turn on Settings > Automation > Song Selection Actions > Send MIDI.