Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Set names?

Started by Klark, September 11, 2015, 09:05:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klark

Hey Arlo!  This may be a silly question, but it might help help someone who's searched a bunch (like me) and can't find any info on the "Set Names" feature and where to use them!

arlo

Set names, and pause names, let you customize the set and pause headings in your set lists, and fine-tune the set list duration calculations.

Set names are custom names that you can enter, like Early Set, Late Set and Encore. If you then assign your custom set names to the set headings when editing a set list, the set list will display with those names in the set headings instead of the generic Set 1 and Set 2 names.

Pause names are similar, but you can apply them to pauses in your show. Examples of pause names are "Introduce the band" and "Plug the merch."

Starting with the new release later this month, you can edit a set name and select the Exclude From Total Duration option. If you then use the set name in a set list, the duration of that entire set will not be included when calculating the total set list duration. This is useful if you want to add a set containing a few backup songs at the end of your set list, without affecting the calculated duration.

Also in the new release, you can edit a pause name and set a duration. Then if you use the pause name in a set list, this duration will be used instead of the set list's default pause duration to calculate the total duration. This is useful if some pauses will be longer than others and you really want to get precise about the timing calculations.

Klark

Ok, that's what I thought they were, but I can't figure out where to implement them..

Klark

Nevermind!  I found it!  You have to make a set list first, edit the list (using the pencil icon), then click on the >> arrow to the right of the set list name.  Got it!

arlo

That's how you assign the names, and you can also create them from there. You can also create and edit them from Repertoire > Set Names and Repertoire > Pause Names.

Klark

Excellent.  Thank you!

Now, is there a way to have these Set Names pre-populated with songs?  That way when creating a new set list for a particular event you can just throw the set name in there and it'll load up those songs.

arlo

No, the set names are not meant to be tied to particular songs. But see "How can i add a medley or a short sequence of songs when building a set list" in the FAQ:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/FAQ.html

RR

Hey Arlo,
I´m using set names to structurize our Set List containing most times more than 40 Songs. e.g. Rock´n Roll Block, Folk Songs, Hard Rock Block etc.
This works great and I especially like the option to move an entire Set up or down. That´s useful when sorting a new setlist.
During the show, when I reach a new set, the (Android) Tablet only displays BREAK (actually UNTERBRECHUNG, as I´ve switched to German). It would be very useful, if it would also display the set name, so I could announce to the crowd what will be next. And while we´re at it, the Set name should also show up in the "Title+1" field.

So, have a good holiday everybody!
RR

arlo

There might be a reason I'm not doing that ... I'll check my notes after the holidays.

arlo

I checked this and the reason for the current behavior is that when the name is displayed, I think it's more logical to indicate what is happening now (taking a break) rather than what is happening after the break (the next set). In other words, when BREAK appears on the screen, I think that more clearly indicates to the performers what is happening, compared to, say, "Set 2."

In your example, it sounds like you're using set names for groupings that aren't actually sets ("Rock and Roll Block"). If you want to label a section of songs within a set, you could use pauses for that. However, there's no function to select and move all the songs in a grouping delineated by pauses; you'd have to move the songs one at a time.