Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Panning left of metronome

Started by Snuf, September 20, 2015, 04:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuf

Hello,
We use the setlist metronome for every song when there is no backtrack pkaying along. I have the panning set to the utmost left but since an update (i think) i can hear the metronome also on the right channel of the PA. I use a allesis io dock II and when i play a backtrack with a logic metronome panned left its ok. For songs with no backtrack we use the setlistmaker metronome. So now i have to mute the ipad channel on the mixer when playing songs with no backtrack. Is there a setting which i have to set?

Krystofur

Clicks run hot and notoriously bleed into the FOH channel if your gain settings are too hot. I use the Alesis and SLM, as well. You need to balance your clicks between the tracks and metronome so they're the same, yet don't bleed...I know the struggle. Could also be your console. If it is known to bleed...a click will only make it more apparent.

I've had success with the volume level for the SLM click volume set at roughly 1/3 or under the O in the word "cowbell" above (the click sound I use). I just take the gain I need from the other end or channel output to my in ear monitor. You might need less...or can take more. If you send to much click gain...above peak or near peak on the input channel...the click will bleed no matter how good your console is. Again, they always do this...just gotta find your sweet spot.

arlo

I just checked with Apple earbuds connected to the headphone jack of an iPad Air 2 and there was no bleed there. If you send a message from Help > Request Tech Support in the app, I can verify that your tempo sounds are panned all the way to one side. Otherwise, Krystofur's suggestions for eliminating bleed in other hardware are good ones.

Roberto_Amoralez

I just that completely re configured panning metronome on the left channel but still hear the quiet click of the right channel . Before, everything was fine and overtone in the right channel was not heard . Our concerts every week but after the upgrade set list maker, I was surprised to hear the click of the portals with zero panning of the right channel . It decreases the volume of a bad idea because at this volume , I do not hear a click

arlo

If you have an issue that you think is related to an app update, it is important to say which app version you are referring to. You can try turning on Help > Troubleshooting > Use Old Audio Engine to see if that makes a difference. However, that relates to a change in the app that was not yet released when Snuf started this thread.

Roberto_Amoralez

I have an issue only with standard setlist metronome, if I use a metronome and playback recorded in the different channels, it is no problem. I use Ipad2,2 ... ios 7.0.4. I can not turning on Help> Troubleshooting> Use Old Audio Engine because this function is absent in SLM 4.2.4

arlo

Actually the Old Audio Engine setting is absent on iOS 7 because that iOS version can only use the old audio engine.

I don't have an iPad 2 with iOS 7, but I tested with an iPad 1 with iOS 5 and the latest app version and I couldn't hear any bleed between the channels there.

Please send a message from Help > Request Tech Support so I can verify that your tempo sounds are panned all the way to one side.

arlo

I got your message and your tempo sounds are panned all the way, so that's not the problem. I really don't hear any problem with my hardware, though. How are you connecting your iPad to your sound system?

Roberto_Amoralez

usually, at a concert I connect through di box as I always did. Now even when the headphones are connected, I still hear a quiet click.

This problem only with a standard metronome. playback with samples and clicking in the different channels works excellent

arlo

Do you have access to any other devices that you can try this with, to see if the problem is specific to your iPad?

Krystofur

I will say this...running current version of SLM on iPad Air...thru iO dock...

On occasion last night at rehearsal, only the first click of the SLM metronome was sneaking into the right channel (normally panned left) - for the FIRST click only. Then stayed left and stopped. It was intermittent.

I going to test some more today.

arlo

Does the iO Dock get audio from the dock connector? It would be nice to test with the headphone jack, too. Please also include what iOS version you are using and whether you have turned on Help > Troubleshooting > Use Old Audio Engine, which is only available in iOS 8 and newer.

Krystofur

I will definitely take a look at this tonight and test again...I need to make sure I'm all set by Friday for weekend shows. I will definitely report back ASAP later today EST.

Thanks