Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Program changes sent on wrong channels

Started by arlo, September 22, 2015, 04:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

The new versions released yesterday have a problem with MIDI presets, which are now incorrectly sent on one higher channel than the desired channel (e.g., a preset intended for channel 3 will be sent on channel 4). I already have a fix and will submit it to Apple within the next 24 hours.

Meanwhile, the easiest workaround is to adjust your receiving equipment to accept the MIDI messages on the incorrect channel.

If you can't do that, and you have MIDI devices defined in your database, you can edit your MIDI devices and lower the channel number for each device by 1 to compensate for the error. In this case, you should edit the MIDI device with the lowest channel number first, and work your way up. Unfortunately, you cannot use this to fix program changes sent on channel 1, because you cannot lower a device channel to 0.

If you do not have MIDI devices defined in your database, you can define them now for every channel you send MIDI presets on. You should first create the MIDI devices on the desired channels, then go back and edit the channel for each device to the compensated value.

As always, I recommend waiting until version x.x.1 or x.x.2 of a major release if your performance schedule does not allow any app downtime.

arlo

I've submitted fixes to the Android and iOS apps. The Android apps should be available in a few hours, and the iOS apps in 2-10 days, depending on Apple's turnaround time.

arlo

By the way, this problem only affects program changes, not raw MIDI. If you are using a mixture of program changes and raw MIDI, and your raw MIDI contains channel-specific data like control changes (sysex messages are not channel-specific), then the first workaround is not as good because the raw MIDI will still be sent on the correct channel and your devices will no longer receive it.

In that case, you can use the second workaround, or you can temporarily edit your raw MIDI (if you don't have very much of it) to increment the channel number.

Goergtn

This is the first time I cursed at SLM! At a gig last night and SLM was not changing patches during sound check - instead it would it would send a program change on the non-global channel and add modulation to it. Always called up an underwater piano.
I looked up this posting this morning and tried lowering the global channel on my board from 16 to 15, but that only worked for the first song in my show. The rest of the songs resulted in underwater piano.
Now, I know I backed this up to iTunes a couple months ago, but I have too many songs/midi presets/shows to take the chance of deleting & reinstalling. Been burned with other apps and lost many hours of work in the past.
So, PLEASE get this bug fixed. I feel so 20th century writing patch numbers on a paper song list!
Thanks-
Dan

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on September 22, 2015, 07:01:20 PM
I've submitted fixes to the Android and iOS apps. The Android apps should be available in a few hours, and the iOS apps in 2-10 days, depending on Apple's turnaround time.

Quote from: Goergtn on September 27, 2015, 11:39:24 AM
This is the first time I cursed at SLM! At a gig last night and SLM was not changing patches during sound check - instead it would it would send a program change on the non-global channel and add modulation to it. Always called up an underwater piano.
I looked up this posting this morning and tried lowering the global channel on my board from 16 to 15, but that only worked for the first song in my show. The rest of the songs resulted in underwater piano.
Now, I know I backed this up to iTunes a couple months ago, but I have too many songs/midi presets/shows to take the chance of deleting & reinstalling. Been burned with other apps and lost many hours of work in the past.
So, PLEASE get this bug fixed. I feel so 20th century writing patch numbers on a paper song list!
Thanks-
Dan

What part of Arlo's post did you not understand?

Perhaps you should ask Apple what's taking so long to allow you to download the fix!

Alexviola2

Hi Guys .... after the program to crash in my live performances during the MIDI program change , I had to reinstall the older version of Set List Maker , which works fine . Please Mr . Arlo and his colleagues advise its paying customers when it's ready  and working without bugs the new version .
thanks best regards.
Alex

Pongo

Quote from: Alexviola2 on September 27, 2015, 03:07:28 PM
Hi Guys .... after the program to crash in my live performances during the MIDI program change , I had to reinstall the older version of Set List Maker , which works fine . Please Mr . Arlo and his colleagues advise its paying customers when it's ready  and working without bugs the new version .
thanks best regards.
Alex

May I direct your attention to the very first post in this thread; last sentence.

arlo

Set List Maker 4.2.1 and BandHelper 2.4.1 are now available for download. That should fix this issue.

If you changed the channels that your devices are listening on, or changed the channels that your MIDI Device entries in the app are sending on, you should change those back to the desired values after installing the update.