Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Paste into Lyric field

Started by noonesgotthis, September 30, 2015, 02:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noonesgotthis

Hi. Using SLM on ASUS android tablet. Relative newbie but database created and have used SLM in anger on stage.

So after a few hours tearing out valuable hair, I can not get the paste function in the lyric field. I have 45 songs with lyrics happily pasted and working fine. I can copy the text file fine, and paste it into other apps. I cannot get the lyric field to even display the paste option.

Tutorials say to 'tap the edit button for a song, then scroll down to the lyric field and paste........'

There is no edit button (at least not on android), and the paste function does not appear as an option when you go to edit the lyric field as it used to only a few weeks ago. This is the first time I have used SLM since the recent update!!!

Help please. Am I being a dummy, or what?

Thanks in advance

Dave

arlo

I've heard about this from one other user, but I don't know what has caused the change. The problem doesn't occur on any of my devices.

I did make a tweak in today's version 1.4.3 that might fix it -- can you install that if you haven't already?

OldGuitarDude

Hey noonesgotthis, save your hair!

My friend had the same issue with his Samsung Android (think it was v4.4.4) tablet. He just bought SLM and installed it, then I was showing him how to c/p his lyrics into the app. He was able to copy text to the clipboard, but in the lyrics window there was no paste button no matter what we tried.

The fix was to upgrade the OS to the latest available version. As soon as he did that the paste button was back.

I read on another forum that it was something caused by Chrome affecting the paste buffer.... don't really know about that, but it did fix his problem. 

Hope that saves you some hair!

OldGuitarDude

noonesgotthis

Hi, latest version installed but still cannot raise paste function in any of the document fields. Every attempt to do so causes the keyboard to display.
I have no other problems with my device.
Is there a precise instruction for android users of the paste into lyric field process? The tutorial seems not to be 100% as I can find no 'edit button' for a song. Paste would appear as an option previously by tap and holding within the lyric field (or at least that's how I got it to work!!!!), has this changed or have I maybe learned some finger trouble?
Arlo,, you seem to imply that this function works perfectly on all your test devices?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Dave

arlo

If you are editing songs from the Songs list, there is no explicit edit button, you just tap the song title to edit it. If you are on the page with the editable Lyrics and Chords fields, you are in the right place.

The only things you should have to do to reveal the Paste button is 1) have something copied onto your clipboard, and 2) tap and hold a text field for a couple seconds. If it worked for you before, you're probably still doing it correctly now.

You said "latest version installed," but what specific version do you have installed? The latest version is different for different Android devices, and it's always good to use specific version numbers.

noonesgotthis

Hi Arlo. From what you say earlier it's not finger trouble.

Versions are
SLM v 1.4.3
Android 4.4.2

Device is an ASUS tf103c

Hope I won't have to start typing classes!

Dave

arlo

Is it possible for you to update to Android 4.4.4? That should make minimal changes on your device (compared to Android 5.0), but might loosen up whatever is stuck with the copy/paste functions.

noonesgotthis

Hi. Not sure if device lets me decide version. I'll have a crack at it and let you know.
Thanks for quick response.
btw I am editing and copying lyrics in WPSOffice. Any relevance to problem?
Dave

arlo

Quote from: noonesgotthis on October 01, 2015, 02:31:32 PM
I am editing and copying lyrics in WPSOffice. Any relevance to problem?

I don't think so, but you could try copying and pasting text from another source (ideally, unformatted text) to make sure.

noonesgotthis

Hi Arlo,
Ok so android update not an option. Asus warn it risks issues with drivers and renders the device unsupported. All firmware and Android 4.4.2 is up to latest versions supplied by Asus.
It seems to me to be an issue since the latest update to SLM, which by memory was some 10 or 12 days ago. I need to ask you whether we are going to find a resolution, as I can't see continuing with the app while having to type every lyric in.
Based on OLDGUITARDUDE''s response I'll try removing Chrome, but beyond that will need your help.
Thanks, Dave
Btw, copy/paste works for all my other apps.

arlo

Yes, I will continue trying to identify the problem, but it's difficult since it only affects a handful of users and doesn't occur on any of my devices.

To clarify, does the problem occur when copying any text (including, for example, a bit of unformatted text from an email message) and when pasting into any text field in Set List Maker (including, for example, the single-line Artist field on the song edit page)?

noonesgotthis

Hi,
I can paste text from a .txt file or email into any of the editable fields in the song page EXCEPT for Lyrics, Chords or Notes. Tap and hold in these fields causes the keyboard to display every time, but no option to paste.
Paste does appear, and functions correctly, when I tap and hold in the other editable fields i.e. Song Title, Artist, Key, Time Signature etc.
regards
Dave

arlo

Okay, that's different from the one other user I talked to about this, so I'll double-check with him to make sure this is the same problem.

arlo

The other user verified your report that the paste button does appear on single-line text fields. Here's another question. Does it appear for the Address field on the show edit page? That field supports multiple lines, but not formatting; so this will tell us whether the problem is related to multiple lines or to formatting.

noonesgotthis

Hi Arlo,
As you suspected, the paste function does not appear in the Show-Edit- 'address' or 'notes' field. It does appear in the single line 'contact name', 'phone' and  'email' fields with the normal tap and hold....
hope that helps
Dave