Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Lyrics rendering issues on Android 4.4.4 tablet

Started by pheldal, October 22, 2015, 05:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pheldal

My list of devices available for testing is limited to a 7" tablet running Android 4.4.4 and a 5" smartphone running android 5.0.1. The following problems, unless otherwise noted, only apply to android 4.4.x/tablet.

• Adjust and save text-size has to be done twice. The font-size jumps back to default or previously saved on the first attempt to hit the tool-icon to save the text-size.
  • The chord-position, when rendered above the lyrics (chordpro style), is not correct unless a monospace font is used. This is an issue regardless of device-type (phone/tablet) and android-version.
  • The first attempt to open lyrics from a setlist fails. The lyrics flashes briefly, and the app returns to the setlist. The second attempt succeeds, as do consecutive opening of lyrics from the same setlist until the setlist is closed and re-opened.

arlo

QuoteAdjust and save text-size has to be done twice. The font-size jumps back to default or previously saved on the first attempt to hit the tool-icon to save the text-size.

Are you sure you're not hitting the Reset Text Size option? I don't have that exact Android version installed on any devices currently, but I haven't heard of any problems with this.

QuoteThe chord-position, when rendered above the lyrics (chordpro style), is not correct unless a monospace font is used. This is an issue regardless of device-type (phone/tablet) and android-version.

That is how this function works -- you need the Monospace font for accurate alignment between lines.

QuoteThe first attempt to open lyrics from a setlist fails. The lyrics flashes briefly, and the app returns to the setlist. The second attempt succeeds, as do consecutive opening of lyrics from the same setlist until the setlist is closed and re-opened.

Starting from the main menu, what buttons would I have to press to see the problem?

pheldal

Quote from: arlo on October 22, 2015, 08:19:49 PM
Are you sure you're not hitting the Reset Text Size option? I don't have that exact Android version installed on any devices currently, but I haven't heard of any problems with this.

The behaviour is consistent every time, and the text jumps back to the previous size at the same time as the sub-menu opens. I.e. before even trying to select save or reset.

That is how this function works -- you need the Monospace font for accurate alignment between lines.
Ok. I'm coming from other chordpro-apps such as songbook for iOS/OSX/win/android where chords and lyrics are aligned regardless of font.

Starting from the main menu, what buttons would I have to press to see the problem?

Repertoir->Setlists->choose any>
With the setlist displayed as "list only", press the document symbol on any song in the list to display the lyrics. On the fist attempt the lyrics page is briefly displayed, then the app drops back to the playlist.

After this you can go back and forth between the playlist and lyrics with no issues, until you close and reopen the setlist at which point it happens again, once.

arlo

The behaviour is consistent every time, and the text jumps back to the previous size at the same time as the sub-menu opens. I.e. before even trying to select save or reset.

I've never seen or heard of that. If you post a video showing the problem, that might yield some clues about what the problem is.

Ok. I'm coming from other chordpro-apps such as songbook for iOS/OSX/win/android where chords and lyrics are aligned regardless of font.

I don't know if the other apps have some trick for doing that that I haven't thought of, or if they're just doing a lot more number-crunching to align text with proportional fonts. Anyway, I'll put that on my wish list.

With the setlist displayed as "list only", press the document symbol on any song in the list to display the lyrics. On the fist attempt the lyrics page is briefly displayed, then the app drops back to the playlist.
After this you can go back and forth between the playlist and lyrics with no issues, until you close and reopen the setlist at which point it happens again, once.

A video might help here, too, but I'd also like to see your settings, which you can send using the Help > Request Tech Support button in the app.

pheldal

I have tested a few more android devices and it seems thus far that the problem with rendering only affect the cyanogen-build of android 4.4.4 for Google (Asus) Nexus 7.

arlo

Which of the three issues in this thread are you referring to?

pheldal

Issue 1 and 3 are android 4.4.4 only. I this both of these are caused by some display-buffer problem in this particular version of android.

Issue 2, positioning of chords regardless of font, is unrelated to the above.

arlo

All right, you can send the additional info I requested if you like, but if the problems only occur on modded devices, I might not be able to do anything about it.

pheldal

Sorry for the vague answer. Display-buffer issues in the OS is not Bandhelpers fault. I'll get back to it if these problems should arise on any other devices than the one I have seen it on.

arlo

In today's app releases, ChordPro positioning with proportional fonts is finally supported.  :)