Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Playback Audio Routing and EQ

Started by Tomd100, November 09, 2015, 03:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomd100

Hi Arlo - I want to route the audio from backing tracks I have through a Graphic EQ app in my iPad before sending to the mixer (which is a very basic one). I have Audiobus but SLM doesn't appear as a compatible app for it. I have read that SLM is compatible with inter-app audio. Do you know of an inter-app audio eq app that I could use? Or do you know how to route the audio through Audiobus?

Thanks, Tom

arlo

I don't know of a specific app you could use, sorry. Hopefully most apps that support Audiobus will also support Inter-App Audio, but it depends on the app.

I'm not aware of a way to bridge from Inter-App Audio to Audiobus so that you can use apps that support Audiobus but not Inter-App Audio, but there might be a way to do that.

Pongo

It might be more efficient to upgrade your external mixer to one that at least has parametric EQ. One less thing that can go wrong in the iPad `studio'.

arlo

I just did a quick Google search for "iOS EQ app inter-app audio" and found this one for starters:

http://www.musicappblog.com/aufxpeakq-update/

Tomd100

Hi Arlo - yes I had found that app too but I cannot see a way to integrate it with SLM. It's seems that the only input source is the iPad mic. Unless perhaps you have an external audio source via USB (haven't tested that). Still, I want to feed the audio from SLM through it if I can. I'll investigate further - if I find a way I'll post it - I think Pongo's suggestion of an upgrade to my basic mixer might be the best bet.

Tomd100

As an update to my previous post - the same company that produce AUFXPeakQ (http://www.musicappblog.com/aufxpeakq-update/) also produce AudioSHare which does show SLM as an option to host as part of inter-app audio The problem is that the app doesn't accept SLM as a host once you try to link it. It will accept other apps that I have. I did get it to work once so it's touch and go. Just thought I would add that in case it is an issue with SLM inter-app audio - could also be because I haven't configured SLM correctly? Are there any particular settings I should consider for hosting SLM in another app? Thanks

Tomd100

Apologies for the multiple posts - one interesting idea: the AUFXPeakQ (http://www.musicappblog.com/aufxpeakq-update/) app can receive midi CC messages (from another inter-app audio app) to set the EQ parameters. This would allow you to use midi pre-sets in SLM per backing track that could allow for a different EQ configuration per backing track. This would be a better option than having only one EQ setting on an external mixer (unless of course the external mixer can handle midi controlled pre-sets as well).

I think there might be an issue with the inter-app audio setup in SLM - one thing I have found is that a host app doesn't appear to accept SLM unless you have played an recording in SLM at least once. That is the behaviour I found when using the AudioShare app.

Pongo

New mixer...new mixer...new mixer! :)

Just curious...why would you need/want different EQ settings for your backing tracks? Why not just use the channel EQ, to globally `tune' [all] the tracks to your room?

arlo

I installed AUFX:PeakQ, but don't see any inter-app audio settings, even though the app store description and website say it is supported. I'll write to its developer.

You don't need to configure anything in Set List Maker, just buy the Advanced Audio upgrade:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/advanced_audio.html

Tomd100

Hi Arlo - I agree - I don't think AUFXPeakQ can act as a host but can act as an effects app. The same company produce AudioShare which can act as a host and can also import AUFXPeakQ as an effect. If you try AudioShare you will see the issues I mentioned previously.

I have already purchased the Advanced Audio and tested it with AudioShare - I can only get AudioShare to accept SLM if I first play an recording on SLM. But even once accepted the audio doesn't come through AudioShare so there may be an issue there.

Tomd100

Pongo - you are right - if it wasn't for the fact that I only recently bought a small mixer thinking I wouldn't need it for much except to feed the guitar through, I would buy a better one, especially now that I am considering the use of backing tracks too. I am still testing out ideas here - some backing tracks I have found are not that great and I am struggling to get the guitar and vocals to blend well with them - I thought that by using this approach I could filter out/down some of the instruments if I wanted or boost the drums and bass where they sound weak. I am still at the learning stages and I know I am probably focussing in the wrong direction. However I do like the idea of being able to implement an EQ pre-set in an app like AUFXPeakQ and simply call the pre-set from SLM whenever a particular recording is played and as it is playing - provides a lot of flexibility - it could allow you to change the mix automatically when playing a solo for example or if playing 2 recordings at the same time you could implement different blends, change the balance etc. 

Pongo

How many backing tracks do you currently have?

One option would be to simply use a free program, like Audacity, to re-mix the tracks to correct the EQ problems.

IMO, you're much better off to correct the problems at the file level, rather than trying to have an EQ `chase' the problems for all of the tracks.

arlo

Hi Arlo - I agree - I don't think AUFXPeakQ can act as a host but can act as an effects app. The same company produce AudioShare which can act as a host and can also import AUFXPeakQ as an effect. If you try AudioShare you will see the issues I mentioned previously.

That's what I was thinking, AUFXPeakQ is a node only, and so is my app, so they couldn't be used together without a host app to connect them. But if that's the case, there are probably better apps to use for the host than AudioShare, which seems like more of a utility than a live sound tool.

I have already purchased the Advanced Audio and tested it with AudioShare - I can only get AudioShare to accept SLM if I first play an recording on SLM. But even once accepted the audio doesn't come through AudioShare so there may be an issue there.

The requirement to play some audio before the audio source appears seems normal to me. I wouldn't do more work on the specific problem with AudioShare unless you really intend to use that app.

One option would be to simply use a free program, like Audacity, to re-mix the tracks to correct the EQ problems.
IMO, you're much better off to correct the problems at the file level, rather than trying to have an EQ `chase' the problems for all of the tracks.

I agree that if you are going to apply the same EQ to a recording every time you play it, it would be better to re-render the file with those EQ settings. Regardless, my app should work as an audio source for inter-app audio apps and I can help troubleshoot that if you see a problem.

Pongo

Arlo,

Since users already have the ability to change volume levels and pitch for recordings in SLM, could you also add a simple 2 band EQ for users that have this need?

That would seem to be the cleanest way to do it within the device...but I still think the external mixer is the best solution.

Tomd100

Hi Arlo - AudioShare is a simple host app that can take a source audio and pass it through effects before it sending it out to headphones etc. It is pretty basic and has what appears to be a small footprint which is good. It would be an ideal host I think. Also the same company produces effects apps that work with AudioShare.

In any case, just for completeness with regards to SLM - If I compare hosting SLM in AudioShare to other apps (such as SampleTank) you should be able to set them up without having to play the audio first: there is no problem loading SampleTank even when SampleTank is not loaded. I have also tested SLM Garageband (iOS version) and I get the same issue: difficulty in hosting SLM and once done, cannot get the audio to play through the host app. Might be the fact that I am using an old iPad mini (even though it is running the latest IOS).

I suppose I should look to getting the backing tracks right in the first place as you and Pongo mention. But this approach is not just limited to EQ - you can apply different effects at run time too all controlled by midi pre-sets from within SLM (if that would work). It is a potentially powerful setup.

I am still trying to work out my workflow (I am not a serious or regular performer by the way but aiming to get more involved): I have a recently acquired Voicelive 3 and already had a midi pickup on the guitar for piano and strings as well as the Beatbuddy for drums. The cool thing is that I can synch the Beatbuddy to SLM and in turn synch Voicelive 3 to the BB. And I can kick off the BB with midi sent from SLM associated with a backing track. Any loops I create on the Voicelive 3 synch to the BB also. Using automation in SLM I can change guitar and vocal effects automatically as the backing track plays. The BB works well and allows you to add fills and changes as you go along without losing the beat - provides a little more realism. Then I was thinking that it would be great to have that sort of control with the backing track - so instead of a single backing track played from beginning to end, you could have a series of backing loops that represented verse, chorus etc. and kick them off with midi. Slightly off the original topic but my thought process went further: if you play prerecorded loops to represent part of a song you could change the sound slightly each time through effects etc. so that they don't sound too similar and receptive. Maybe this is crazy but I love the technology as much as I love the music!