Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Scroll on track start

Started by wakevortex, November 28, 2015, 09:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakevortex

Hi..another quick question as I try to get my head round this rather brilliant program- SO many options  !
I want every track to autoscroll when PLAY is pressed...(or when the track starts) 
Is there an easy way to achieve that..I want to avoid having to hit the scroll button manually

thanks !

Bill P

arlo

You can't automatically start scrolling when you start a recording, but you can automatically start the scrolling and the recording when you select a song. See Settings > Automation > Song Selection Actions.

wakevortex

if you use autoscroll why would you want to have to press it manually? surely 1 button to start and scroll is much easier? (as an option)
The start on song select  thing wouldn't work for me as sometimes I want to select the song between songs without it starting straight away ...

maybe an option to consider for future?

thanks

Bill P

arlo

I think that linking the auto-scroll feature to the recording feature is a pretty specific workflow that would not be easy to explain in the user interface. I see starting a recording, starting a tempo, starting auto-scrolling and starting MIDI as parallel functions and selecting a song is a parent function to all of those. So I think it is a fairly simple idea that the song selection could trigger those other functions, but making those other functions be able to trigger each other creates a more complicated relationship between the functions.

I'm considering a "double selection" situation where the first selection of a song displays the song, and selecting it again activates the song selection actions. That would meet your request. Another option, which currently exists, is to record an automation track that starts your recording and your auto-scrolling, then you would start the automation track when you want to trigger those two functions.

wakevortex

Hmm..if you are a guitarist/vocalist  (as I am ) who has to hit start , and then autoscroll (if you remember) it means two button presses  which delays you actually playing your guitar slightly longer.
What circumstance could you possibly want where you want something OTHER  than
autoscroll on start  or
autoscroll manually  (as an option)

every other program in this field has exactly that , so its not an odd workflow request ..surely all artists want to hit start and have any associated actions of that track linked and to  follow along (automation, scrolling Midi etc) OR to have to do all those manually .....
is it tricky to make that an option?  totally understand if it is :)
in the heat of a set, you just want to press play surely?

just a thought ..appreciate you even replying- its great get support directly :-)

Bill P

arlo

Some people don't use recordings, some people don't use auto-scrolling, and some people use other functions in conjunction with one or both of these functions, so linking these two functions together is not the obvious solution it might seem to you.

Most people use the exiting song selection action functionality for this. Your case is more complicated because you want to the viewing of the song and the starting of its associated actions to be separate. The existing automation track functionality would let you do that, and I'm considering adding "double select" function in a future update. So you have several options: 1) use the song selection actions and don't select the song until you are ready for its recording and auto-scrolling to start (1 click), 2) play the recording and start the auto-scrolling as separate actions (2 clicks), 3) record an automation track that plays the recording and starts the auto-scrolling, and start the automation track when you are ready for the recording and auto-scrolling to start (1 click) or 4) wait until I add more functionality in a future update (1 click). I think that's plenty of good alternatives to a specific connection between the recording and auto-scrolling functions that you're looking for.

arlo

I just submitted a new app version with a new Settings > Automation > Song Selection Actions > Trigger on Second Selection:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/release_notes.html

If you turn this setting on, you can select a song once to view it (before you finish the previous song), then select the same song a second time to trigger the song selection actions (starting auto-scrolling and recording playbabck).

wakevortex

Just saw this post ..looks promising - thanks !!

Bill P