Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Strange Bluetooth Linking

Started by fleahead, December 17, 2015, 06:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleahead

We thought the old bluetooth linking was working for us again, but it only seemed to work as long as the wifi router that we had previously been using was powered up. The first time we tried to go back to bluetooth it was before we had started a gig and I had already set up the wifi. I told my partner to switch his link setting over to bluetooth and I did the same. Great! he immediately saw my iPad and I saw his request. Worked fine all night. I thought this is great and now I won't have to drag this router around any more.

The next gig I didn't bother to set up the router, but when we tried to establish the link, the partner could see my device, but everytime he tapped on the "connect" icon, it immediately flashed back disconnected. We double checked that we both had bluetooth on, and we both had our link options set for bluetooth. We even rebooted our iPads but no link.

I had to set up the router again. After wifi was established we tried to link up again but had not yet switched back to wifi in the link options. The link came up again as normal, however we were still optioned for bluetooth. I then powered off the router and we lost the link immediately. It then struck me that we were not linking over the bluetooth at all, but the link was in fact wifi, even though we had chosen bluetooth in the options. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I suppose that is ok, that SLM will pick whatever method is available, but in my case that means that bluetooth linking has not been resurrected, as was previously discussed.
Jim in Ohio

arlo

Hmm, I guess that's possible. The Bluetooth linking functionality is mostly provided by Apple and I can't see any details about how it works. They didn't officially announce that it was going to stop working, and didn't officially announce that it had been fixed again, so I can continue to offer that option "as is" but can't troubleshoot it or explain what it's doing.

fleahead

I don't see the bluetooth issue as a problem with SLM, as you described. The only thing to take away from this, is the observation that if a good wifi signal is available, apparently SLM will go for the wifi link regardless of how the bluetooth/wifi option is set. Not a problem. Just something to be aware of.

thanks Arlo
Jim in Ohio

arlo

I was interpreting that to mean that Apple's Bluetooth implementation was somehow relying on wi-fi to work correctly. I don't think the app is using the new wi-fi option if the old Bluetooth option is selected. I think the confirmation popups are slightly different, so comparing those would indicate whether that's happening.