Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Crashes when backing out of a show

Started by Krystofur, December 17, 2015, 05:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krystofur

More often than not, when backing out of a "show" to the database the app crashes...very often.

Our issue with songs crashes or simply stopping during a performance may be related to the new engine in the new version. We were using MP3 and have now changed to wav to see if this corrects it. We think our crashes were happening while tracks were running live may have had to with some "meta data" one of the guys was throwing into the tracks to keep dB's below 0 at all times. Something iTunes lets you do, but I suspect may confuse the engine in SLM causing the tracks to crash.

But this backing out of show to database crash thing has been going on since the update. I can update new on the track crash changes once I test those out this weekend.

Krystofur

arlo

I can't reproduce this problem, but I found one possible cause and adjusted that. This potential fix will be included in the next app version, scheduled for January 1 or whenever Apple approves it:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/release_notes.html

Krystofur

Something is definitely going on though. The iPad I perform with is ONLY used for performances/drumming and I do not run other apps on it...nor is it loaded up with other junk.

While on stage this weekend, we wanted to add a song to a set. While I had the show open I merely clicked the edit button to add the song/recording. As soon as I hit the "pencil" the app totally crashed.

I wonder if I just need to delete and reinstall? I have not done that since the major update. I wonder if it's just corrupted.

By the way...IF anyone has been complaining of songs crashing during shows and they are still using MP3 versions, or older versions of recordings, that may not work with the new engine...we changed over to fresh versions of our old tracks with WAV files and not a single recording crashed this weekend!

Pongo

Not good! One more reason for me to not upgrade iOS or SLM.

arlo

While on stage this weekend, we wanted to add a song to a set. While I had the show open I merely clicked the edit button to add the song/recording. As soon as I hit the "pencil" the app totally crashed.
I wonder if I just need to delete and reinstall? I have not done that since the major update. I wonder if it's just corrupted.

This doesn't sound like a problem that deleting and reinstalling would help, so I don't recommend that. The best way to address a crash is to send a message from Help > Request Tech Support in the app and answer the questions there using specific details from your database.

By the way...IF anyone has been complaining of songs crashing during shows and they are still using MP3 versions, or older versions of recordings, that may not work with the new engine...we changed over to fresh versions of our old tracks with WAV files and not a single recording crashed this weekend!

I know that this problem is related to certain audio files, possibly created from certain software, but I would estimate that this affects fewer than 1 in 1000 audio files out there, so I would not recommend that everyone replace their MP3s with WAVs. Re-encoding any specific files that exhibit the problem is a better solution. Turning on Help > Troubleshooting > Use Old Audio Engine is quick fix if you don't need the lower latency of the new engine, or Inter-App Audio. The crash occurs in Apple's newest audio framework, and I have reported it to them as a bug, but I wouldn't expect them to fix it before iOS 10 is released next fall.