Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Can't send Midi Signals to change patches on my Boss GP-10

Started by rmarton123, May 24, 2017, 06:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmarton123

I have a Boss GP-10 and am connected directly to the pedal via otg cable. When I send midi to the GP-10 there is no program change on the device. It's just the simple changing of patches. I have installed Midi Commander and can record patch change messages and I can manually assign patch changes and it works. So what I think is that BandHelper may not have the capacity to connect to the USB Midi on my GP-10. Because Midi Commander can listen and speak to the GP-10 I don't think that the issue is with the GP-10.

Please advise me if I'm doing something wrong.

I setup the midi channel to 1 which worked fine with my GR-55.

I set the 3 octets like 0 0 5 for patch 6 and I even tried
b00000 b02000 c005 which is also patch 6 but Bandhelper didn't change the patch to the GP-10

arlo

When you tap the MIDI icon in the top toolbar and look at the list of Connected Ports, does the GP-10 appear there?

If not, the first step is to get BandHelper to recognize that device. Please try the suggestions here and see what happens:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,739.0.html

rmarton123

The only one thing that I found was one of the replies. the other steps were no brainer.

The step I found helpful (I haven't tried it yet) was to uninstall Midi Commander. This app can see the GP-10 USB Midi device and can and does read and write Midi data to the GP-10

I will try that and let you know if it helped.

rmarton123

Well in the final test I removed all Midi apps on my Samsung Android Tablet and though other midi apps detected the GP-10 Bandhelper didn't using the same OTG cable.

Not sure why Bandhelper can't see the GP-10 while other applications can like Midi Commander.

arlo

There might be something different about Boss's MIDI implementation compared to other MIDI devices that other apps are able to handle and my app isn't. I'm actually surprised any app can connect, because the Boss doesn't appear to have a class-compliant interface; the user manual says a driver is required for USB MIDI, which typically means it doesn't work with mobile devices.

Now that Android has some built-in MIDI capabilities (in Android 6 and above), I'm planning to rewrite the MIDI connectivity in my app and that might help. Meanwhile, I'd suggest adding a USB MIDI interface to your setup, but it looks like the Boss doesn't have a 5-pin MIDI port, and I'm not aware of a MIDI interface that has a USB output.

rmarton123

To update..

I have purchased a while back a piece of gear called MidiX-20. It's genius. It combines Analog, USB, 5 pin din into an Swiss army knife of MIDI controlling options.

Here is the link. It's really cool.

http://www.primovasound.com/midx_20.html

This box fixed my Android to GP-10 issue

With this box would it also be possible to remote control Bandhelper?

arlo

QuoteI have purchased a while back a piece of gear called MidiX-20. It's genius. It combines Analog, USB, 5 pin din into an Swiss army knife of MIDI controlling options.

Great, that looks like the perfect solution.

QuoteWith this box would it also be possible to remote control Bandhelper?

If you want to connect a MIDI-based footswitch, then yes, that would work. I don't recall a specific model of MIDI foot switch to use (Bluetooth foot switches are more common) but I know they are out there and people are using them.

arlo

FYI, the new app version released today can use the native Android MIDI framework on Android 6 and above. This should offer smoother connections to USB MIDI interfaces. The new framework is not enabled by default, but you can go to Help > Utilities and turn off Use Old MIDI Framework to try it.