Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Sending MIDI to 1 of 2 Keyboards in Bandhelper

Started by mtunes, January 03, 2016, 03:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtunes

Hi I have 2 keyboards set up as Channel 3 (Casio PX-5s) & Channel 2 (Casio WX-P1) & am using an iRigMIDI and an IPhone 6 to send midi changes to pick the tone setting for each song.

I am passing the signal to the Channel 2 keyboard through the Channel 3 keyboard.

My problem is the Channel 2 Keyboard changes with signals intended only for the Channel 3 keyboard. When I send MIDI to just Channel 2, everything is fine.

Perhaps I need different hardware to connect the MIDI to 2 keyboards?

Cheers!

arlo

What MIDI messages are you sending? If you are sending program changes, those are channel-specific and you should be able to configure your keyboards to only respond to the desired channel. Your keyboard might have a setting you need to change for that to happen.

mtunes

Hi Arlo

Here is an example of the Program Changes
Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program
PX5S (iRig MIDI, Ch. 4) 112 0 22

There is only 3 settings for MIDI out on keyboard 1 USB Key or MIDI only with MIDI will it send to keyboard 2.

There are only 2 settings for MIDI in On or Off on keyboard 2

arlo

FYI, in your original post, you said your PX-5s was on channel 3 and in your latest post you said channel 4.

Why don't you send a message from Help > Request Tech Support and state the name of a MIDI preset you are sending so I can check it.

mtunes

I have been changing the channels to try to solve the problem.

Thanks I have sent the Request

arlo

You wrote in your email, "Sending midi preset 3Dog Pianet to channel 4 passes through to also change channel 5. If I send to channel 5 it works (preset Church Organ P1) as it does not change channel 4."

It sounds like the keyboard you want to use on channel 5 is actually responding to messages on all channels. You could remove the channel 4 keyboard from your setup and just send to the channel 5 keyboard to confirm that. In other words, the problem isn't that the channel 4 keyboard "passes through" the messages, the problem is that the channel 5 keyboard needs some different settings to respond only to messages on the desired channel.

mtunes

Yup could be "channel 5 keyboard needs some different settings to respond only to messages on the desired channel" Deactivating the other device did not make a difference.

I also tried it with a MIDI pass thru device rather than through the other keyboard and it still accepts other channel instructions.

I have emailed the manufacturer, as there is nothing apparent to me in the setup, Midi On/Off is all I can see.