Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Midi problem on korg

Started by ilpianolista, January 25, 2016, 01:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpianolista

Hi Arlo,
I download SLM and start using only as chord viewer. Such a great app!!
So I decided to move on and use the midi capability to change sound on my keyboards
(Clavia Nord Stage 2 and a korg TR) during gigs
I have a Galaxy tab 2 and use a simple OTG cable for connect via USB the Tablet to keyboards.
First of all I tried to manage only the nord stage and everything works perfect.
Then I tried to work only with the other keyb (Korg) but nothing seems to work.
I've added a new midi device and set midi Channel 2 (set the same midi channel in the korg)
I created some midi preset using the appropriate midi device and set Msb, lsb and program according to the korg manual.
I press the small midi button near the preset (it blink) but the korg doesn't receive any signal. Also the "midi learn" function doesn't work

In the beginning I thought it was wrong setting on MSB,LSB and PR so I tried to use Midi commander but in this case I was able to change the program on the korg and the midi monitor has read all the midi events.

did you have any suggestion?

ilpianolista

arlo

Does the Korg appear as a MIDI port in the MIDI status window? If you are connecting directly to the keyboard without a separate USB MIDI interface, then that keyboard is the MIDI interface. This post has more info:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,739.0.html

ilpianolista

The korg doesn't appear as midi port.
The only port that appear is the one with the name of the tablet.
now i have purchased a midi interface (i'm waiting the delivery..)and I will try with that
I will let you know

Another question:
Now i'm worked without a proper midi interface and I have noticed that the midi port appear only with the wifi turned on, otherwise the tablet doesn't seems to have any midi port.

arlo

If the wi-fi is turned on, then an RTP MIDI port will appear, but that shouldn't affect the USB MIDI ports.

If you would like to troubleshoot the direct connection to the Korg further, you can contact me directly through the Help > Request Tech Support button in the app. Or you can wait and try the new MIDI interface you ordered.

ilpianolista

so..
the midi interface has arrived and everything works. Now this is my setup:
galaxy tab 2 -> midi interface -> korg Tr -> nord stage 2
In this way i can select a song and the 2 keyb change the sound correctly. Wow!!

now I have to figure it out how to send the correct sysex message to the korg to switch from combi mode to program mode. But this is a korg issue :D

Arlo, what did you think was the problem in the usb direct connection?
Midi commander worked in the proper way...hope my case help for future implementation and upgrade of this great app

Merlimau26

Hi ilpianolista

Does MIDI learn work with your Nord Stage 2 when do you connect it direct with the USB OTG cable?

If not, do you have the actual SLM version 1.5.3? I have a Nord Stage 2 as well. MIDI learn works with my Samsung Note 10.1 (GT-N8010) on Android version 4.1.2 only since SLM version 1.4.5. Remote control works only since SLM version 1.4.5 as well.

If yes, than it's probably something wrong with the Korg and the data exchange via the USB OTG. It could be that Korg sends not exactly according the USB standard. Your MIDI interface re-routs according the standard and SLM can read it. I know Midi Commander read everything.

Merlimau26

arlo

I can't say what the problem was without more info, but you can contact me directly if you want to troubleshoot that further (I would need to collect some data from your device).

What is the new MIDI interface you bought?

ilpianolista

I Bought this on amazon

http://www.amazon.it/DIGIFLEX-Adattatore-tastiera-musicale-portatile/dp/B00K4UXH5Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454518638&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+midi

it works quite well...the only problem is that korg seems to send continuosly midi data, so I unplugged the midi out cable. My only intent was to change the sound on keyb so it isn't a big problem

I think the problem is on korg, but it was courious that midi commander works...

arlo

Android doesn't include a built-in MIDI driver like iOS does, so there is a lot more variation between apps and devices.