Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

"Layouts" or "Modes" or ...?

Started by arlo, February 19, 2016, 08:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should Layouts be called after reorganizing this functionality in the app?

arlo

I've planning planning the next major app version, focusing on updating some of the workflows to make the functionality more intuitive. The ability to change or customize song layouts is one of the most confusing functions, probably because it is hidden behind a tiny "layouts" button. I plan to move this to the main menu along with Songs, Shows, etc.

I also plan to move some settings from the overall Settings menu into the layouts so that you can have different settings for each layout. For example, you could have one layout that starts a tempo and recording when you select a song, for use on stage, and another layout that doesn't, for use in rehearsal. Or you could have one layout that plays continuously through recordings, to preview your set (I like doing this while driving to a gig).

Since layouts are now gaining a functional aspect as well as a visual aspect, it might be best to rename them. What would be a better name? Pick an option above, or write your own suggestions below.

Tasten-Bert

Hi folks,

I voted for "others" and would call it "Views".

Great app, Arlo.

Thx and sunny regards from Germany

Tinto Verano

Hello!

I really like the term Layout.
But you can call it "mode" as well if you add more functions.
For me it wouldn't make a difference if I have a menu structure like for example

MODES
           - Practicing Mode
           - Band Rehearsal Mode
           - Show Mode
           - Data Maintenance Mode

or

LAYOUTS
           - Practicing Layout
           - Band Rehearsal Layout
           - Show Layout
           - Data Maintenance Layout

But maybe you plan more brushing up, for example customizable layouts for the finance module (list layout, balance layout, the way you print positive and negative numbers).

Then I'd suggest taking "mode" and using "layout" elsewhere.

My 2 cents,
Thomas

jowidi

I'd like to second Tasten-Bert on 'Views'. 'Layout' does not cover the functional changes you want to add and 'mode' does not convey the fact that the look may be dramatically between different layouts/modes/whatever.

So my choice would be 'views', followed by 'layouts' (no change), as I see no pressing need to change the name. Maybe I'm not alone with this opinion as this poll doesn't seem to attract a lot of votes.

Newfie

Ulfonze

I voted for "Other" and support "Views". I don't have a problem with "Layouts". For a beginner, the term "Views" might be more clear.