Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Copy paste and keep the format?

Started by Ottawasteve, September 06, 2016, 08:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawasteve

It's there a way to copy and paste from Ultimate guitar chords and lyrics?  When I try that on the web into the shared lyrics box the formatting is completely gone and renders it unusable.  Also when i try to edit on Android, on my Samsung tablet, when i click in that box, my keyboard takes up half the screen, and I lose the ability to scroll hence can't get back up to click things like the formatting buttons.  Hello!

Thanks!
Steve

arlo

It's there a way to copy and paste from Ultimate guitar chords and lyrics?  When I try that on the web into the shared lyrics box the formatting is completely gone and renders it unusable.

What kind of formatting specifically?

Also when i try to edit on Android, on my Samsung tablet, when i click in that box, my keyboard takes up half the screen, and I lose the ability to scroll hence can't get back up to click things like the formatting buttons.  Hello!

You should be able to scroll, but dragging in the text box will scroll the text and you will need to drag outside the text box to scroll the page. See also the tips here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,654.msg1558.html#msg1558

Ottawasteve

Hi,

Here's an example.
When I copy/paste from Ultimate guitar - (https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/blue_rodeo/hasnt_hit_me_yet_ver5_crd_1506828id_01082014date.htm)
(I just freshly copied now into this reply box here - and also tried into Word, etc.) - it looks like this:

Blue Rodeoao
Hasn't Hit Me Yete|
(
(Capo 2nd Fret)                 
D Dsus2 D Dsus4 D Dsus2 D Em7 Cadd9 (x2)

Verse 1:
G                     D
You say that you're leaving
          Em7            Cadd9
Well that comes as no suprise
G                        D
Still I kinda like this feelin
   Em7           Cadd9-G-A
Of being left behind
G                     D
Yea this aint nothin new to me
           Em7             Cadd9
Well it's just like goin home
It's kinda like those sunsets
     Em7
That leave you feelin'
     Cadd9 -G- A
So stoned

But here is what it looks like in the Lyrics box of BandHelper - and it doesn't scroll properly.  It's like all the line endings are gone - which also I think is affecting the scrolling / edit / keyboard part of the problem I mentioned; not scrolling because it's being treated as one long line?

Blue Rodeoao Hasn't Hit Me Yete| ( (Capo 2nd Fret)                 D Dsus2 D Dsus4 D Dsus2 D Em7 Cadd9 (x2) Verse 1: G                     D You say that you're leaving          Em7            Cadd9 Well that comes as no suprise G                        PlD Still I kinda like this feelin   Em7           Cadd9-G-A Of being left behind G                     D Yea this aint nothin new to me           Em7             Cadd9 Well it's just like goin home G                        D It's kinda like those sunsets     Em7 That leave you feelin'     Cadd9 -G- A So stoned Chorus: Em7  G              D             A Hey Hey I guess it hasn't hit me yet Em7           G I fell thru this crack       D             A And I kinda lost my head Em7        G I stand transfixed   D                 A Before this street light Em7           G                 D  A           (D intro x2) Watching the snow fall on this co-old December night Verse 2: G                            D I never thought this could happen       Em7                 Cadd9 But somehow the feelings' gone G                      D You got sick of the pattern   Em7                   Cadd9 -G- A And I got lost in this song Chorus: Em7  G              D             A Hey Hey I guess it hasn't hit me yet Em7           G I fell thru this crack       D             A And I kinda lost my head Em7        G I stand transfixed   D                 A Before this street light Em7           G                 D  A           (D intro x2) Watching the snow fall on this co-old December night bridge: (From Chorus) Em7               G              D   A And out in the middle of Lake Ontario... Em7                G The same snow is falling (same snow is falling)       Em7          G On the deep silent water (on the deep shallow water) Em7              G The great dark wonder Em7        D           A Into the waves of my heart Em7        D           A Into the waves of my heart       D Dsus2 D Dsus4 D Dsus2 D of my heart Cadd9-G-A      D Dsus2 D Dsus4 D Dsus2 D        Whoo Hoooo Em7 --Cadd9--G--D...

arlo

This is when you paste into the web interface? What happens if you paste into a different app like Notepad, then copy again from there and paste into BandHelper?

Ottawasteve

It's better -- at least it's not all one line.

But the font must be getting changed - so the chords don't line up in the right place anymore.

Paste from Ultimate Guitar to Notepad -- still looks OK.  Re-copy / Paste to BandHelper - Chords don't line up anymore.   But that same problem happens trying to paste into THIS reply window.
And that same problem happens from a direct copy/paste from the web (chrome) showing Ultimate Guitar:

Here is paste from notepad:

Verse 1:
G                     D                                      --------->  D should be over the "a" in the last word "leaving"
          Em7            Cadd9                          --------> Em7 should be over the "comes".... etc....
   Em7           Cadd9-G-A
Of being left behind
G                     D
           Em7             Cadd9
     Em7
That leave you feelin'
     Cadd9 -G- A
So stoned

Changing to Courier fixes it - but I can't see a way to change the font in bandhelper - only the font colour....

Verse 1:
G                     D
          Em7            Cadd9
   Em7           Cadd9-G-A
Of being left behind
G                     D
           Em7             Cadd9
     Em7
That leave you feelin'
     Cadd9 -G- A
So stoned

arlo

Aligning chord lines with lyric lines only works with a monospaced font like Courier. In BandHelper, you can change Settings > Appearance > Lyrics Font to Monospace.

Ottawasteve

genius!  Thanks Arlo.

One minor UI suggestion then would be to put a link to these settings in the Song Edit page next to the lyrics boxes.

And ideally - the font itself could be selected in that box - in addition to font colour! 

But for now - I've got my solution ---- thanks!!!

...Steve