Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

3 Crashes last night during navigation between songs

Started by jamkeys, February 27, 2016, 10:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamkeys

Hi Arlo,
I had 3 Bandhelper crashes between songs last night while navigating to new songs in a set.  It seemed to happen at when I started scrolling up/down on the set list.  These were always after track songs. 

I have about 60 tracks loaded in the project
I was using an Airturn PED (for the first time last night actually)
I rebooted the Ipad right before the gig to make sure it was clean
I use Bluetooth to transmit the tracks to the mixer
I have a pending Ipad update to the latest IOS that I haven't installed

arlo

Can you reproduce the problem at home?

If so, can you narrow it down by eliminating one or another of the functions you're using (Airturn, Bluetooth audio, playing audio)?

jamkeys

I returned the Airturn and will see if it happens this weekend.  It only happened 3 times over 35-40 songs so it is hard to recreate on demand.

jamkeys

So the crashes continue last night without the Bluetooth pedal.  I still used Bluetooth audio. I'd hate to give that up but can try it without.  Crashes were always between songs while navigating the set list.

arlo

I would test with wired audio and with no audio at all to identify where the problem is.

Also, please observe if you are changing songs before the recording finishes, or if you are waiting for the recording to completely finish, and see if that makes a difference.

jamkeys

I have just bought the Alesis IOS Dock 2 so that I can have direct audio, midi, and a volume knob close by to adjust tracks if needed.  I'm trying to get the foot pedal to start and stop tracks but am posting a new topic for that question.   

jamkeys

Hi - So I was still experiencing the crashes with no bluetooth or midi connections.  I noticed it only crashes in one of my two projects.  I thought deleting the app from my Ipad and reinstalling may help.  I have done that but the problem now is that all of the sets are not syncing.   only 6 of 9 sets on one project and 7 of 10 sets on the other.  I went to another device and moved a song around and resynced to see if that would push it through but it has not helped.

Any ideas? 

Thanks,
Adam

arlo

Please don't delete and reinstall the app as an attempt to fix problems. Now that you are having syncing problems, please submit a help request here so I can see your data:

http://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

jamkeys

I checked back recently and found other with the same crashes i have been having for the past year.

This resolved:

Turning on Help > Utilities > Use Old Audio Engine

I don't understand exactly what features I lose with this option but I didn't notice anything last night - except the app didn't crash once! :-)

arlo

There is a known bug in iOS that causes a crash when some MP3 files get to the end of playback. Maybe that's the problem you were seeing. Turning on the old audio engine would fix that. The disadvantage is a bit more latency when starting the recording, and the loss of the inter-app audio capabilities.

You can also fix that problem by re-encoding the MP3s that are crashing, using iTunes or another audio application.

jamkeys

Thanks Arlo.

All MP3's are either encoded from Logic or directly from http://www.karaoke-version.com/  where I get the tracks if I don't need to edit them.  I'm just so happy it doesn't crash and I don't really notice any latency in starting the tracks. I'll just leave as is.  I am guessing the http://www.karaoke-version.com/ MP3's are the problem since I use mostly from there without editing.