Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

"Open In" for recordings area

Started by platu, March 11, 2016, 01:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

platu

There is "Open In" for documents.  Is there an "Open In" for files in the recordings area as well?  If not, I'm not sure if there is another way to export files from the recording area to other apps.  Thanks.

arlo

Are you using the iOS or Android app?

arlo

And are you referring to recordings that you linked from iTunes, or recordings that you recorded in the app?

platu

I'm referring to any Local recordings stored in the SLM local database.  So this would include files recorded directly via the SLM recording control, as well as recordings that were previously imported into the SLM local database via the "Open In" from another app, or using the Import button at the top of the Recordings list, or using imported via iTunes File Sharing.  I had already assumed that this might not be possible for any recordings that were just "linked" from the iOS music library.

I've been looking to use SLM to serve as my main repository for all source audio and documents/videos related to all songs I perform.  So I have been actively adding documents/videos, and audio files primarily via "Open In" from other apps and then attaching to the appropriate songs in SLM.  Once imported into SLM, my intention was to eliminate the need to keep copies of these files elsewhere and know that I can always find my source file in SLM.  But since I need to still be able to open/edit these files on an ad hoc basis in other apps, I just realized that there wasn't a way to export any of the audio files stored in the SLM local database.  So that would mean keeping duplicate source copies of all source audio elsewhere on my device which is what I have been trying to avoid.

My other use of "Open In" is to allow for an easy way to transfer documents/Videos/Audio files to my secondary iOS SLM device using the Airdrop option of "Open In".  I had already purchased the database sync IAP but docs & recordings don't sync so this has been the easiest way to move the files to my other SLM device short of moving to Bandhelper.  This had been working great for documents/videos, and it was when I went to try to Airdrop an audio file between my devices that I first realized that "Open In" wasn't available for audio files. 

arlo

All right, I didn't think about adding "Open In" for local recordings because most recordings are linked to iTunes, and because there's no "view" page comparable to the view page for documents where the document sharing buttons are located. But I'll put that on my wish list. Meanwhile, you can access these recordings through iTunes File Sharing:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4094

If you connect both iOS devices to your computer, you could then drag and drop all the recordings from one device to your desktop and from there to the other device, rather than having to AirDrop them one at a time.

platu

arlo

Email and export buttons for local recordings were added to the recording edit page in version 5.3 last June. Sorry for the delayed notification.