Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Changing patch with a foot switch

Started by Keith Bowie, March 12, 2016, 01:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Bowie

Hi guys
Looking for some guidance with a problem.
I have some songs that require up to 4 patch changes during the song.  I have setlist maker set up to send the midi patch changes. I was trying to set up a foot switch that will send a midi signal which is attached to the command " next midi "
This seems to work only sometimes. Sometimes it will work perfectly and sometimes it will skip a midi setting .
Has anybody seen this before? Is there a work around or am I doing something wrong?
Hope you can point me in the right direction
Thanks
Keith

apilz

Hi Keith... Be interested to know how you have your setup? I'm looking tondo something similar, but with patch changes on keyboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Alan

arlo

I haven't heard of that. This would be easier to troubleshoot if I can see your settings. You can start a help desk ticket here, and describe a specific example where the problem occurs:

http://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/add.html

After submitting the ticket, take the assigned ticket ID and go to the app and tap Help > Send Troubleshooting Info and enter the ID.

Keith Bowie

Apilz
I have created midi preset for each song . This will set the patch that I need for that song.  Then you attach the preset to the song and set the automation to run the midi when you open the song.  So when I start the set the first sond will automatically set the patch for that song.
If there is more than 1 I just list them at the side .
I've attached some screen shots .
Hope it helps.
If you need more I for just ask
Regards
Keith

apilz

Keith, thanks for sharing. I do a similar thing. Firstly, I have three devices to control two keyboards and main stage.

So I attach 3 midi presets, one for each device to each song. So when I select song a, midi preset 1,2 & 3 are sent together to each device. Perfect.

However, if in the song I need to change to another batch of sounds I have a problem. Say song a calls for patch a, then later song a needs to change to patch b, when selecting the song, patch a gets sent immediately but them overwritten with patch b.

In terms of managing the midi presets, I've called them what they are on the instrument, and have built up a bank of presets that I use in bandhelper. I've resisted calling the midi preset the song name as I kind of feel this is duplicate info. After all bandhelper does a good job of handling songs, set lists etc..

Btw the attachments don't show what I've explained above exactly but give you a general idea.

So the missing links for me now are:-

a) prevent bandhelper sending all presets to one device in one go, but only send the first (to avoid overwriting with the last preset send)
b) determine how to group presets to a song. Such as creating a 'verse' group of patches, a 'chorus' group of patches. But these are created in context of the song to avoid having to created a midi preset, All Right Now - Chorus, All Right Now - Verse.
c) finally having the ability to switch between chorus and verse preset group by foot switch.

Perhaps most of the above is possible?
Thanks, Alan

Keith Bowie

Apilz
Thanks for your reply.
Your set up seems much more complex than mine.
Looks like we are both in search of the Sam thing"patch change by footswitch"
Have you been into the remote control section and assinged a command to a foot switch?
I have tried this but it seems to skip commands. That's the problem I need to iron out then I would be good to go
Thanks again
Keith

apilz

Keith,

I haven't got a foot switch yet so not had chance to mess around with that part of BandHelper just yet. It's catch 20 for me. I want to be sure things will work if / when I get a foot pedal.

I guess I could simulate something with my midi controller. I have a number of drum pads I could assign. But not got that far yet.

Thanks, Alan

apilz

But I'm really chuffed today, as I can now switch my Korg, Roland and Mainstage to the right patches when I select a song! This is awesome. Just need to figure out the verse, chorus etc... Changes during a performance for any given song then I'll be a really happy bunny!

Thanks, Alan

apilz

Btw... Are you a guitarist controlling effects? What's your application of bandhelper??

Thanks, Alan

Keith Bowie

No
I am using keyboard probably the same as you.  I don't like to take more than 1 keyboard to a gig so I just use multiple splits on the keyboard or change patch during the song

joepno

Hi guys,

seem to have the same problem. I am using just one keyboard and typically have 2 or 3 midi presets attached to a song. I switch presets with the AirTurn Ped. This works for 15 minutes or so but after a while the next preset is skipped so the second next preset is activated. It seems like the midi command is sent twice. I was hoping that IOS update to 9.32 would help but it didn't.

I had reported this to Arlo a couple of weeks ago but I think there was no explaination.

Best,
Joepno
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.