Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Korg Krome - MSB \ LSB \ Program Change settings

Started by yamahap200, March 23, 2016, 10:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamahap200

Hi - I'm hoping someone can assist me in getting my MIDI Presets issue figured out.  My problem is that is that I can't figure out what information needs to be in the MIDI presets. I intend to use Set List Maker to assist me with my set list while performing live and to have Set List Maker automatically change my Korg Krome's Program changes using Set List Maker as I go from one song to another. I have tried using the MIDI learn feature, which produces a bunch of information which I just have no idea what it represents.  Here is what I need to know - Lets say that on my Korg Krome Keyboard, I have a patch sound in category Synth \ Bank F \ Program #049 . Now I would like that sound patch to be configured as a MIDI Preset on Set List Maker and assosciated to a particular song title. I got that part, but I don' t know how to understand the information I need to place into the MIDI preset settings to make that possible. I have tried several things and was also able to get Set List Maker to change program patches on its own, but its not going to the correct Bank.  As part of my example, I listed category Synth \ Bank F \ Program #49, but when Set List Maker attempts to change the sound on the Korg Krome, it changes it to Category Piano \ Bank A \ Program #049.   Can someone help me understand this process ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been at it for 2 days now and can't figure it out.
Thank you

arlo

Sometimes "banks" as implemented by keyboard companies don't match the idea of "banks" as represented in the MIDI spec. So ideally you would just need to send an obvious bank MSB and/or LSB number, but for this particular keyboard you might need to find a translation table in the user manual showing what standard bank numbers correspond to the banks as implemented by this keyboard. You might also need to send a sysex message (which would go into Set List Maker's Raw MIDI field) to select the "category" if that is separate from the standard bank / program structure.

yamahap200

I was able to figure out the Program Changes on my Korg Krome and it now changes to the correct Bank letter and program #.  My next and final challenge is to figure out how to have Set List Maker change to my Korg Krome Combi banks. Anyone with a Korg keyboard like the M50 should have a similar layout as I do with the Korg Krome. If anyone knows how to enter in the MIDI Presets that have a COMBI setting, that would be great to know.

Thanks again

yamahap200

Hi Arlo - based off your experience with your app and many midi devices. Are you able to help me figure out what I need to do for Set List Maker change to my Combi mode on my korg Krome Keyboard.  I was able to figure out how its done with the Program Mode but can't figure out how to have set list make change to my Combi sounds.  If I can get this resolved then ill be set.  I really like the app. I'm hoping you may have helped out other folks with Korg keyboards who may have had similar issues. Many Kory keyboards have similar functions - program mode and Comb mode.  Any suggestions on how I should enter the MIDI preset values?

arlo

I think you need to send a sysex message, but I don't really know. In general, I can't tell you what messages you need to send given the particular equipment you have, but if you find out, I can help you configure Set List Maker to send those messages.

yamahap200

Hi Arlo -

I think I have the SysEx statements I will need for my keyboard to switch between COMBI mode and Performance mode.  My question is this - If I enter the SysEx information into the RAW MIDI field to indicate which mode I should be in, should I then enter information into my MSB \ LSB \ Program fields listed above the RAW MiIDI window? or should I not enter any information into the MSB \ LSB \ Program fields and some how try to figure out the information within the RAW MIDI window to allow the keyboard to route to the correct sound bank \ patch #'s and etc.  Im sorry I have been a pest, but I can't location any information anywhere on the internet.

arlo

You can use the program change fields for the program changes and the Raw MIDI field for the sysex. Then you can change Settings > Audio & MIDI > MIDI Preset Order to make sure the raw MIDI is sent first. You can also set With Delay Between if needed ... some keyboards won't process both kinds of messages if they come too close together.

yamahap200

Thank you. I got everything working great now

If anyone is seeking the SysEx MIDI information for the Korg Krome Keyboard to switch between - Program Mode and Combi Mode, please use the following information:

( Korg Krome )
SysEx MIDI Program Mode -
f0 42 30 00 01 15 4e 02 f7

SysEx MIDI COMBI Mode -
f0 42 30 00 01 15 4e 00 f7

Steps:
1. I recommend creating 2 separate MIDI Presets - 1 for Program Mode \ 1 for COMBI Mode

2. Then create separate MIDI Presets for each sound patch that you want to use for a particular song title

3. Example of the MIDI preset should look similar to the following - MSB= 000 \ LSB= 000 which represents the A Bank or 001 which represents the B Bank \ 002 which represents the C Bank \ 003 which represents the D Bank \ 004 which represents the E Bank \ 005 which represents the F Bank -   The last segment field = the Program Patch # 000 = Grand Piano and so on....

4. Once you have your MIDI preset configured, your ready to associate the MIDI presets to the songs

5. Go to your Song titles and go into each song detail and navigate down to MIDI Presets

6. Click on the "+" button to add your desired MIDI Preset or Presets

7. Example - Lets say I would like Set List Maker to change to a sound on keyboard to a sound patch from the Program Mode, follow instructions below.

Navigate to the MIDI preset that you indicated for your "Program Mode" MIDI preset, then followed by another MIDI preset that you configured that represents the sound for that particular song title. Just locate the MIDI preset that you previously configured for that song title and associate it and that's it. Same concept applies for when you want to choose a particular sound patch from one of your COMBI patches.

apilz

Thanks for the post. Glad you got the bank changes sorted for combis. Out of interest how did you find the raw hex code?

Your method of creating a patch to switch from program to combi I'm assuming is to avoid copying the same hex code for every patch? I've resorted to using the import function on the website and some excel trickery to mass import my presets. Haven't tried to see if that work with raw midi too?

I'm trying to find an excel resource of all the presets so I can upload the entire patch list.

P.s. I've just retired my M50 and upgraded to a Kronos so having to switch all the presets across. Now mastering combi mode. Awesome sounds..
Thanks, Alan

yamahap200

It wasn't an easy task to tell you the truth - I used the MIDI learn feature to capture some of the RAW MIDI data I was seeking in regards to Program / Combi modes. I had found some information on the internet that helped me get an understanding of what uses the Program Mode \ Combi Mode \ Sequencer Mode and just fiddled around a bit until I figured it out.  Now I have things setup and it works GREAT !!! I know have Set List Maker changes my patches automatically.

Here is some information I found in regards to the Kronos

So now that you know how to to do a little mode switching with SysEx messages, here's a list of System Exclusive statements to change the main modes on the Kronos:

•SetList Mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 09 F7

•Combi Mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 00 F7

•Program Mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 02 F7

•Sequence Mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 04 F7

•Sampling Mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 06 F7

•Global Mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 07 F7

•Disk Mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 08 F7

apilz

Thanks for your help! You would think such a basic function like combo to program switching would be much easier to do!

As you saw from my last post, I also found a method of getting the right sysex. Also came across what I believe is you on another forum :-) seems we are looking at similar resources online! Haha

Are you programming each preset you use manually?

I've successfully managed to bulk upload a text file to bandhelper online which is a really useful time save. But I'd like to be able to get a list of all the patches on the Kronos to help with this. The issue is it needs to be in excel format (so I can export to a tab delimiters file) Any ideas... Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Alan

yamahap200

I manuallyentered each MIDI preset for each particular sound patch.  I named each of the Presets to the title of which song title it needs to be associated to and then afterwards I went to my song list and then just attached the MIDI preset with the appropriate song title.  It didn't take that long to tell you the truth - I like the idea of uploading the Presets. I think I will try to tackle this week in the near future. I still have other set lists that I still need to associate Presets too, so its something I will try to make happen.
You should be able to get a list of all the sound patches from the Kronos manual. It sounds to me that you would have to then enter each of those patches into Excel and map it the the correct columns and etc and then upload them.  That sounds like a lot of work to me, I rather just do them manually as you set up your list, but that's your call. In any case, you will have to enter information one way or another.

apilz

Hi,

Thanks for sharing..

Yes the presets are available in pdf format but this can't be easily transfered to excel. Paste loses any table format.

However I have found a smarter more reliable way.

Using the KRONOS editor I am able to export a Midnam xml file.

When opened in excel, it's in a much friendlier format than the pdf, although a little attention is needed to remove the xml header and other unnecessary info. The key is all the preset, bank and program info is available in chunks by bank location. Saves a lot of typing! Not sure I want to import 3000 midi presets in one go though! But I can pull out the ones I want when I select the patch for a song.

Also the biggest other advantage is that it's a dump of your actual presets. So it captures any changes you may have made. New patches etc..

Only one limitation is that combis can't be created in this way. At least not that I've found so far. (No option in the editor for combi to midnam export)

I'll post a snippet of the file I will use to batch upload that includes the hex code! Just tying to iron out a format issue right now with Arlo.. (Hence my 'Am I going crazy!' post)

;D

Alan
Thanks, Alan

jcwerth

Quote from: yamahap200 on March 28, 2016, 06:29:01 PM
Thank you. I got everything working great now

If anyone is seeking the SysEx MIDI information for the Korg Krome Keyboard to switch between - Program Mode and Combi Mode, please use the following information:

( Korg Krome )
SysEx MIDI Program Mode -
f0 42 30 00 01 15 4e 02 f7

SysEx MIDI COMBI Mode -
f0 42 30 00 01 15 4e 00 f7

Steps:
1. I recommend creating 2 separate MIDI Presets - 1 for Program Mode \ 1 for COMBI Mode

2. Then create separate MIDI Presets for each sound patch that you want to use for a particular song title

3. Example of the MIDI preset should look similar to the following - MSB= 000 \ LSB= 000 which represents the A Bank or 001 which represents the B Bank \ 002 which represents the C Bank \ 003 which represents the D Bank \ 004 which represents the E Bank \ 005 which represents the F Bank -   The last segment field = the Program Patch # 000 = Grand Piano and so on....

4. Once you have your MIDI preset configured, your ready to associate the MIDI presets to the songs

5. Go to your Song titles and go into each song detail and navigate down to MIDI Presets

6. Click on the "+" button to add your desired MIDI Preset or Presets

7. Example - Lets say I would like Set List Maker to change to a sound on keyboard to a sound patch from the Program Mode, follow instructions below.

Navigate to the MIDI preset that you indicated for your "Program Mode" MIDI preset, then followed by another MIDI preset that you configured that represents the sound for that particular song title. Just locate the MIDI preset that you previously configured for that song title and associate it and that's it. Same concept applies for when you want to choose a particular sound patch from one of your COMBI patches.

Hi,
I read this post with some interest - having recently purchased a Krome.  Have you been able to - while in combi mode - get Setlist Maker to turn a program on and/or off.  For example Track 1 might have piano and  Track 2 - strings.  I would like to be able to with  Setlist make turn on Track 2 and later in the song (for example) turn it off.

thanks
John