Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Question about adding songs to a set list on the fly

Started by Erawal, March 25, 2016, 10:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erawal

I am a singer who sings mostly in informal venues (e.g., song sessions, informal salons) rather than on-stage, and I like to be able to add songs to a set list on the fly, in real time, to match the mood of a session, and so that I can easily access the lyrics when I need them.  Here are a couple of things I'd really like to be able to do; I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if it's possible now or might be added soon. 

1. From within the "show," when I hit the "Add Song" button, I'd like to be able to browse possible songs in a way that lets me peek at their lyrics (e.g., could there be a document button added to the currently available alphabetical list of songs by title, so that if I selected it, I could see the lyrics?).  I don't always know from the title whether it's one I want to add. 

2.  Alternatively, and maybe even MORE desirable:  When browsing thru songs in "Songs" view, or in "Smart List" view, I would like for there to be a button that would allow me to add a song to a particular show.  This would be very helpful, because what I often do is page thru songs in SONGS view or in Smart Lists, where I can easily look at the lyrics (and other info), and then decide that I want to add it to my show. Currently, that means I have to remember the title, go back to my "Show," and then add it; and then toggle back to the Songs list, where I go thru the same process to find others I want to add.   (I used to be able to easily do this on my iPhone in the Notes feature, which is where I used to store all my lyrics before I got SLM; even though Notes had limited capabilities, when I was scrolling through songs, it was nice that all I had to do was make a minor edit to the song, like adding a space, and it got moved to the top of the list, so I'd have an easy way of adding "possibles" to the top of the list on the fly for easy access during a song session). 

3.  From within the "show," it would be great to be able to add songs by browsing a particular "Smart List" (e.g., I have a Smart List that pulls together all the songs I've tagged as both "Trad;" and "Chorus").  It would be handy to be able to pull up a particular Smart List from within a Show and add songs from that list. 

4.  On a slightly different topic:  I have manually created Smart Lists for each of the tags that I have created (e,g,. "sad songs;" "old time;" etc.).  Is that necessary, or is there a way to get SLM to automatically create a list for all your tags?  I couldn't find that option.

BTW, let me just say how impressed I am with Set List Maker so far; I have been looking for something like this for a long time to be able to organize my lyrics, tag them, sort them, have them available when I am singing, and keep track of what I have sung. I am grateful for the work that was put into the program (I am using just a tiny fraction of what I think are its capabilities, but I'm glad to know they are there). 

Thanks,

erawal

arlo

I am a singer who sings mostly in informal venues (e.g., song sessions, informal salons) rather than on-stage, and I like to be able to add songs to a set list on the fly, in real time, to match the mood of a session, and so that I can easily access the lyrics when I need them.
1. From within the "show," when I hit the "Add Song" button, I'd like to be able to browse possible songs in a way that lets me peek at their lyrics

In this situation, do you even need to create set lists, or can you just work from a smart list?

2.  Alternatively, and maybe even MORE desirable:  When browsing thru songs in "Songs" view, or in "Smart List" view, I would like for there to be a button that would allow me to add a song to a particular show.
3.  From within the "show," it would be great to be able to add songs by browsing a particular "Smart List"

I can put those on my wish list.

4.  On a slightly different topic:  I have manually created Smart Lists for each of the tags that I have created (e,g,. "sad songs;" "old time;" etc.).  Is that necessary, or is there a way to get SLM to automatically create a list for all your tags?  I couldn't find that option.

You can create a smart list that sorts by tag rather than filtering by tag; then it will have a separate section for each tag. Is that what you're looking for?

BTW, let me just say how impressed I am with Set List Maker so far; I have been looking for something like this for a long time to be able to organize my lyrics, tag them, sort them, have them available when I am singing, and keep track of what I have sung.

Awesome, I'm glad you like it!

Erawal

Thanks, Arlo. 
I appreciate your response. My additional comment are below.

In this situation, do you even need to create set lists, or can you just work from a smart list?

Yes, I need a set list.  what I want is a a list of songs I am thinking of singing at that particular session. During some down time, I might pull songs from more than one smart list, some that aren't on smart lists at all, and when it comes my turn to sing, I want to have an easy to access list of 5 or 10 picks at my ready disposal without having to sort thru a long smart list.

I can put those on my wish list.

I would really appreciate that. It would greatly improve usability for me.

You can create a smart list that sorts by tag rather than filtering by tag; then it will have a separate section for each tag. Is that what you're looking for?

Not exactly, but that may be helpful -- I'll check it out. What I want is a separate smart list for each tag.  But it's not that hard to create it manually, so it's not a big deal. 

Thanks again.

arlo

Yes, I need a set list.  what I want is a a list of songs I am thinking of singing at that particular session.

All right, I'll put a lyrics preview in the Add Songs window on my wish list.

What I want is a separate smart list for each tag.  But it's not that hard to create it manually, so it's not a big deal. 

The app used to do that by default, but with people creating more and more tags, I thought it made the list of smart lists too cluttered.

Erawal

Quote from: arlo on April 02, 2016, 09:07:29 AM
All right, I'll put a lyrics preview in the Add Songs window on my wish list.

THANK YOU!!

The app used to do that by default, but with people creating more and more tags, I thought it made the list of smart lists too cluttered.

personally, I'd still find that useful, but as I said, it's not a huge deal. I wonder if you could reduce the clutter by putting those default tag smart lists in a folder so that the large number of lists would only display if you clicked on the folder or menu.  Just a thought.

Arlo, Your responsiveness to questions and suggestions is really appreciated -- makes the experience of using this app exponentially better, knowing there is someone listening to and committed to responding to users. Thanks so much.

arlo

personally, I'd still find that useful, but as I said, it's not a huge deal. I wonder if you could reduce the clutter by putting those default tag smart lists in a folder so that the large number of lists would only display if you clicked on the folder or menu.  Just a thought.

I think it's better not to create them by default, because you can always create them yourself if you want them.

Arlo, Your responsiveness to questions and suggestions is really appreciated -- makes the experience of using this app exponentially better, knowing there is someone listening to and committed to responding to users. Thanks so much.

You're welcome!

soundog

I'm in a similar situation. I have a preconfigured set list, but now and then need to take a request.

I need to be able to quickly access a song (not on the set list), perform the song (read they lyrics from SLM), and then return to where I left off in my set list.

What is the simplest way to currently accomplish this (with the fewest number of button taps)?

Thx

arlo

You can use the Quick Add button at the bottom of the set list. The song you select will be added to your show after the currently selected song. It will be permanently added to your set list if Settings > General Settings > Save Quick Added Songs is turned on.

soundog