Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Bluetooth MIDI and OS X

Started by Kazbah, April 18, 2016, 10:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazbah

Did some experiments last nite to see if I could control my Bass V-Amp Pro from BandHelper. Basically selecting a song recalls a pre-defined preset on my Bass V-Amp. Calling them experiments because it might not represent an actual setup or the best way of doing things but I am trying to test the possibilities ..

Stage 1
First I hooked up my Bass V-AMP to M-Audio Uno Midi Interface with the Camera Connection Kit , Assign the MIDI Device to the MIDI Port... Success.

Stage 2
MIDI network over WiFi
BandHelper -> Assign Network Session 1 Port to the MIDI Device
Hooked up Bass V-AMP to M-Audio FireWire 410 on my MacBook Pro 2007
Audio Midi Setup -> Add iPad to the Network Session
                            -> Route Network Midi to FireWire 410
... Success

Stage 3
MIDI over Bluetooth LE (using dongle)
BandHelper -> Connect to MacBook Pro, Assign MacBook-Pro Port to the MIDI Device
Hooked up Bass V-AMP to M-Audio FireWire 410 on my MacBook Pro 2007
Audio Midi Setup -> WHAT NO WAY TO RE-ROUTE incoming Bluetooth MIDI ??? Did I miss something ?
Snoize MIDI Monitor shows that the MIDI Preset is received on the MacBook Pro
...not giving up...
MIDIPipe  to reroute all MIDI data incoming from Bluetooth to FireWire 410  .. Success

If anyone knows a way to re-route Bluetooth MIDI Straight from Audio MIDI Setup lemme know please

arlo

In Audio MIDI Setup on your Mac, open the MIDI Studio window and double-click the Bluetooth icon. The click the Advertise button next to your computer name. Then in BandHelper, go to Settings > Audio & MIDI > Connect to a Bluetooth Device and select your computer.

This page has screen shots:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/qa/qa1831/_index.html

Kazbah

Establishing the connection was not a problem really , I wanted the MIDI data sent by BandHelper to be forwarded to the FW410 Midi Interface.. contrary to my FW410 and Uno interface which have connections arrows in Audio Midi Setup to establish routing there are no such connection arrows for Bluetooth ..

This relates more to OS X than BandHelper though as it would be true for any MIDI data received via Bluetooth LE on OS X

arlo

Maybe someone else here knows what else you need to do in your Mac setup, but you might need to post in a Mac audio or general MIDI forum.