Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Document Editing

Started by wakevortex, April 20, 2016, 07:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakevortex

I use documents for the lyrics.

How can I make a simple change to say a lyric or chord in that document, and then have that change applied to Bandhelper?
I believe document editing directly isn't possible? so what is the quickest way to make an edit and then quickly replace the pre edited version

thanks !

arlo

You would need to edit your document in an app that supports that document format. Then on the web interface you can go to the Repertoire > Documents page, click Edit, and re-upload the file. Or from an Android device, you can replace the file in the application data directory and go to Repertoire > Documents, select the document name, and reselect the file. Or from an iOS device, you can "open in" or import the file and go to Repertoire > Documents, select the document name, and reselect the file.

wakevortex

Ok , will have a play with that .. would be very handy to edit the document directly on iOS in the app, but Im sure if that was easy you would already have done it ..

appreciated

arlo

Correct -- I would have to reinvent Microsoft Word to edit Word documents, reinvent Apple Pages to edit Pages documents, etc.

wakevortex

So we have to open the document in another program, then make the edit
Then save the document to cloud storage (like Dropbox)
Then import to band helper
Then replace the old document in the song with the new one..
Is that correct?
It does make it a VERY long winded way of making a simple text change at a gig...that could be a VITAL text change that was quickly needed before a performance...
Is a future implementation of even basic editing out of the question ? I know other similar programs have extensive text editing, but your program is WAY better for the actual job of performing :-) :-)
Would having my lyrics in the LYRIC field rather than as an attached  document give me editing facilities?
By the way for those looking for an iOS program which will deal with RTF AND Dropbox (not many of them) have a look at Textilus Pro

Thanks again

arlo

The step "replace the old document in the song with the new one" is not correct. It should be "edit the document entry in the documents list and reselect the file." This isn't necessary to see the updated file on the local device, but it is necessary to let BandHelper know the file has changed and should be uploaded to sync to other devices.

If you want to do this all on an iOS device, it is going to require several steps because iOS doesn't have a file system and apps have limited ability to share files with each other (this is part of what makes iOS a more secure platform). It would be easier on Android or on a computer.

If you use the built-in lyrics field, you will be able to edit directly in the app:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/tutorials/compare_lyrics_documents.html

wakevortex

Thats very helpful...thanks Arlo

much appreciated....
I guess there is no easy way to add  documents into the lyric field other than copy and paste one by one? ( he said somewhat hopefully !  :-)   )  :) :)

arlo

Sorry, if the songs already exist, you will need to copy and paste. If you are going to do a big batch of them, I'd recommend using a computer with the web interface rather than a mobile device.