Main Menu
Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

SMF support?

Started by lbolen, June 16, 2016, 08:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbolen

Very cool! Hey I noticed in the top right of the forum it says SMF Just Installed...are you adding SMF (Standard Midi File) support?

Les  8)

arlo

No, that's a reference to the forum software, which is called Simple Machines Forum.

lbolen

HanKey2902

It would be great for practising purposes to have a MIDI Player with soundfont integrated !

arlo

This is on my wish list and I'll add a vote for you. Meanwhile, you can link to other apps for MIDI playback, like Sweet MIDI Player:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,933.msg2834.html

Merlimau26

A MIDI Player with soundfont integrated would be great. Can you take my vote as well?

arlo

Yes, got it.

Kazbah

You can also add my vote.

arlo

arlo

It looks like I can add this functionality, but we would need to load a SoundFont file to play the MIDI files with (iOS doesn't provide this). So, two questions:

1) Do you already have a source you would get SoundFont files from?

2) Would you need different SoundFont files for different songs, or would an account-wide setting be good enough?

Gusto

Awesome was waiting for this you rock. I paid for the otheir app however would rather use yours. I already gave 5 star review but will update to a more ecstatic review.  8)

So this will include midi file attachment per song ie as a midi player ?

Please allow default sound font system wide, with option to add another selection per song.

Would be amazing if you allow select midi player to select a track to midi out. This would allow the app to use a drum app like Soft Drummer for the drum sections.

This will truly make your app one of a kind for practice, rehearsals and setups  example test drum sounds on a mixer without having entire band ready.

You rock!!

Gusto

Also thought if there can be sheet music or music linked to the midi file playing
ie maybe can use automation to show lines/sheet music
but would be out of this world to follow a sheet music/lyric as it plays

arlo

QuoteSo this will include midi file attachment per song ie as a midi player?

Yes, you will be able to attach SMF files to songs, the same way you can do with audio recordings. Basically SMF becomes a supported audio format alongside MP3, AIF, etc.

QuotePlease allow default sound font system wide, with option to add another selection per song.

Initially you can just have one SoundFont selected in your settings, but adding more SoundFonts at the song level is on my wish list.

QuoteAlso thought if there can be sheet music or music linked to the midi file playing
ie maybe can use automation to show lines/sheet music

The new functionality will also support MIDI data files to send commands to other devices in real time. Ultimately I'd like to let MIDI commands in the attached file drive actions in the app -- so you could build a MIDI file as an alternative to an automation track. But there's a problem I would need to solve with that first. Until then, you could do this with an automation track.

Gusto

Awesome  8)
Any chance to get midi channels setup per song as below

Quote from: Gusto on March 30, 2018, 06:17:51 AM
Would be amazing if you allow select midi player to select a track to midi out. This would allow the app to use a drum app like Soft Drummer for the drum sections.
Eg
Midi track instrument  1 - GM Instrument A
Midi track instrument  2 - GM Instrument B
Midi track instrument  3 - midi channel 2 out

Would allow drum tracks or any instrument to be played by any supporter midi app/hardware

Please

arlo

What do you mean by "GSM Instrument"? That those tracks would play with the built-in synthesizer?