Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

MIDI Song Number vs Program Change

Started by Sonicflight, July 23, 2016, 02:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonicflight

Hi Arlo -
Searched but didn't see this topic covered.

I am running Ableton Live as my sequencer and wish for it to drive setlist/song changes for BandHelper.  Unfortunately, looks like Ableton doesn't support Song Number but does support Program Change.  Is there a way to change the default MIDI call from Song Number to Program Change for each song..?  Or any other thoughts/options..?

Thanks!
Gary

arlo

On the Settings > Remote Control page, you can tap MIDI Program Number and select MIDI Program Messages > Program Change. Then a set of program change fields will appear on the song edit page and you can enter program numbers here and call them from another app to select that song.

Sonicflight

Thanks for the prompt reply, Arlo..!!!  Will that be applicable only to the iPad that I make those changes on or will I be able to call out program change #s and it will also pull up on other user's tablets..?

Sonicflight

OK.  I've got that working, however, it is seeing data coming in on all channels, not just the one that I have designated for the iPad.  I've got it set for Channel 8 and am sending Prog Changes on channel 11, so it should be changing but it is.  I validated that the sequencer is only sending on channel 11.

arlo

Will that be applicable only to the iPad that I make those changes on or will I be able to call out program change #s and it will also pull up on other user's tablets..?

If you sync the databases on all the tablets, and set the same remote control settings, and send MIDI messages to all the tablets, then they should all change songs.

it is seeing data coming in on all channels, not just the one that I have designated for the iPad.  I've got it set for Channel 8 and am sending Prog Changes on channel 11, so it should be changing but it is.

Do you mean you have Settings > Remote Control > MIDI Input Channel set to 8? If so, you should see the message "discarded data ___ at channel filter" in the MIDI Status window, and the app should exhibit no further response to those messages.

Sonicflight

Hi Arlo:

-----
If you sync the databases on all the tablets, and set the same remote control settings, and send MIDI messages to all the tablets, then they should all change songs.
-----
- I've now got this working.  The version I was running on Android needed to be updated.  Yes, it has the MIDI Program parameters for each song that I entered in my other iPad.

-----
Do you mean you have Settings > Remote Control > MIDI Input Channel set to 8? If so, you should see the message "discarded data ___ at channel filter" in the MIDI Status window, and the app should exhibit no further response to those messages.
-----
- Yes, set it in the MIDI Settings, but not the Remote settings. 

All good.
Thanks!
Gary

Jesse_Nicholson

Hey Sonic/Arlo!

I know this is a semi old thread but I'm a new member on this forum page and was looking for the answers provided in this thread. However, I'm still having trouble getting Ableton to control what I want in BandHelper. I followed the instructions Arlo provided in terms of getting the the song edit page to display program change but am not understanding what to do from this point. Do I simply throw three random numbers in the blank fields and match them up in a MIDI track within Ableton? Ive tried this and have not got it to work.

Im running MIDI wirelessly through the network feature on a Macbook pro and have made sure the device I'm using is connected in the Audio/MIDI setup.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Jesse

arlo

Do I simply throw three random numbers in the blank fields and match them up in a MIDI track within Ableton? Ive tried this and have not got it to work.

You can, as long as each number is less than 127. If you want to be more systematic, you would follow a sequence like this:

0 0 0
0 0 1
0 0 2
(up to...)
0 0 127
(then...)
0 1 0
0 1 1
0 1 2
(up to...)
0 1 127
(then...)
0 2 0
0 2 1
(etc)

Jesse_Nicholson

The attachments I sent are what I have so far. I put in 1 1 1 because Ableton won't let me put zeros. When I start the track in Ableton, BandHelper recieves the MIDI signal but doesn't select the song for which I assigned the numbers. Instead when I go check on the MIDI coming in it freezes on the MIDI page and i have to force reset the app. Does everything look correct?

This is also just an example project until I can figure out how to run it correctly. Then I will implement it into my live rig.

arlo

If Ableton doesn't let you enter 0's, then it must count MIDI values from 1. My app counts from 0. So, if you enter 1 1 1 in Ableton, you would have to enter 0 0 0 in Set List Maker. Similarly, 1 1 10 in Ableton would equal 0 0 9 in Set List Maker. Does that help?

Jesse_Nicholson

Yes! I remember reading that on your into to MIDI section now. Didn't think to put it in practice. For some reason it defaults at 80 0 40 on the MIDI program numbers when BandHelper tells me what it is receiving, but I can work with that as long as they don't change! Thanks Arlo!