Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Song List Split Screen (Perform View)

Started by strat13pin, August 02, 2016, 03:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strat13pin

When viewing a show in Perform View there was a rectangular icon (with horizontal lines on the left side of the icon ) that would move the song list out of the way so that you could see the recording controls and other items more clearly.

That button is still there but it doesn't seem to function the same way.  Now it makes the song list disappear from the left side of the screen (on an iPad) but leaves the right hand side untouched. 

I used to have the recording controls stretched out for ease of use — I would hit the rectangular icon and the song list would move out of the way and then the recording controls would shift to full screen.

How can I restore that functionality?

arlo

It was just luck and not an intentional feature that the recording controls expanded when hiding and showing the left column in this way. Currently you would have to either resize it to fit the split view area on the right, or resize it to fit the full screen width, in which case it would be partly covered by the song list when the song list is visible.

strat13pin

Thanks, Arlo. 

Without this 'unintentional' feature, the recording controls are rather squashed.  The volume control, for example, doesn't have much room to operate so that the volume is very touchy.

I'll try your suggestion of resizing it.

Sander

It wasn't just the recording controls but also the document viewer and all buttons would resize to accommodate for the song list, or go full screen. I really preferred it this way because
1. For songs with just a few chords or some lyrics I could leave the songlist in view
2. I now need to have songs auto open their document full screen or I'm stuck having the split view toggle in the middle of the screen (it used to slide to the left).

Is there any way to restore this behavior?

arlo

The document viewer and the other buttons never resized. The song detail area would just push off the right edge of the screen if you opened or resized the song list.

If you want to toggle the song list open and closed while performing, the best way is to use the song list buttons, optionally in combination with a song selection action. You can see this in the default Song Only layout, or set up your own as shown in the following video at 5:55:

https://youtu.be/KSrKK5rpQRk

Sander

Sorry I didn't mean to say the buttons resized, they moved. But I'm pretty sure the document viewer resized? Or perhaps it was just that I could still see my chords because they were small enough to fit on the remaining portion of the screen? In any case, I suppose there is no way to have it slide like it did before? Currently I have what you suggested - auto hide the song list upon song selection (I erroneously said I have songs auto open their document full screen) but I would much prefer I didn't have to.

arlo

Currently I have what you suggested - auto hide the song list upon song selection but I would much prefer I didn't have to.

This is essentially what you had before, but instead of the song detail area moving to the right and cutting off the right portion, the song detail area stays where it is and the song list appears on top, covering the left portion. This only makes a difference for the moment between viewing the song list and selecting a song from it, so I don't expect that to be a significant difference.

If you really want the right portion of the song detail to be hidden instead of the left portion when viewing a song list, you could move your song list to the right side of your layout.

Sander

I guess the point is that previously, if I had only a moderate amount of lyrics or chords (or just the song structure with bar numbers), I could see them with the song list open. The right side that was "cut off" was blank space anyway, and I could play with font size a little to make sure I saw everything. It allowed me to see the entire setlist yet also have my notes for the song I was playing. Obviously, this doesn't work for songs that have a PDF sheet or that are absolutely filled with lyrics or chords. But I could still hide the song list and everything would slide over. If I do as you say and set my document viewer up to show only its left half, wouldn't it be stuck that way? I could double tap for full screen but I'd lose my other buttons and indicators.

I guess I had just gotten used to the quirks of the way things were and I didn't expect something like this to change in an update.

arlo

If I do as you say and set my document viewer up to show only its left half, wouldn't it be stuck that way?

I'm not sure what you mean. I was suggesting you edit your layout and move your song list from the left to the right side of the screen. Then when it is visible, it will cover the right portion of your document viewer, which you are saying would be less disruptive than covering or hiding the left portion.

lonetech

I was very comfortable with the way things worked, and could quickly do pretty much whatever came to mind, but suddenly everything takes more steps to accomplish relatively simple edits. I have managed to totally screw up my favorite show split view. When I tried to do some editing in split view, familiar things had disappeared and I had to go look at tutorials to relearn what i had thought I had down pretty pat. Is there any way I can copy a split view layout to another database?

arlo

Yes, from the layout's Edit Details page you can tap the Copy button to copy the layout to another database. You could also delete the Split View layout and then tap Help > Utilities > Load Default Layouts to create a new one with the default settings.

lonetech

Thanks, Arlo. I will explore farther and see what transpires. If this works, I will be a very happy camper.

lonetech