Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Question for anyone using multiple output for playing 2 recordings together

Started by Pongo, October 07, 2016, 11:07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pongo

Just wondering if anyone that's sending a stereo audio recording (backing track) and a separate click track (from the headphone jack) together, has encountered any problems?

Has there been any drift, with each recording starting exactly together?

I'm unable to use this feature with my current device (iPad Mini), since I'm reluctant to go from iOS 7.1.1 to 10...because it will probably cripple my device. Before I buy a newer device (for this ability), I'm soliciting feedback on this particular feature.

A follow-up question would be: Are you sending multi-channel audio and MIDI (from your device) simultaneously? If so...how?

Thanks.

riodanno

I don't play 2 recordings at once. However I do use backing tracks and create one recording and play off of my iPad.

If using a backing track that is not in stereo is okay, you can use a program for Windows called Audacity. It's free. With Audacity you can create MP3 backing tracks. Audacity allows you to pan your tracks. The music that you want to go to FOH, pan to the left and then pan the click track to the right. This might be an alternative if you can get both recording to play at once

arlo

Two clarify your questions, you are looking for feedback on playing a click track and a backing track simultaneously through separate audio ports, right? And you need a newer iOS version to use the new audio engine added in iOS 8?

And you are asking what hardware could be used to connect a MIDI network and a USB audio interface at the same time?

Pongo

Quote from: arlo on November 11, 2016, 08:26:59 AM
Two clarify your questions, you are looking for feedback on playing a click track and a backing track simultaneously through separate audio ports, right? And you need a newer iOS version to use the new audio engine added in iOS 8?

Yes.

And you are asking what hardware could be used to connect a MIDI network and a USB audio interface at the same time?
Yes.

I guess none of the SLM users here are doing this?

arlo

It seems like an obvious product, but I haven't seen one. Maybe since these devices use driverless USB connections, a single device can only do one function. Anyway, I would suggest looking into using a powered USB hub to connect an audio and MIDI interface. I have no experience with this myself, but maybe you can get advice from a more general iOS music forum.

arlo

Another user just mentioned this to me ... the IK Multimedia iRig Duo, with audio in/out and MIDI in/out:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproduo/

Ray

I use to play 2 recordings at the same time. But it is ONLY ONE mp3-file. One sound on the right side, one on the left. The both sounds have to be premixed in a audio-program. So the playback comes through the left side, the click through the right side. In the FOH you can root the playback to the PA and InEars, and you can root the click only to the InEar of the drummer.

ColGal

I use a Focusrite iTrack Dock which keeps iPad powered as well as balanced stereo out. Only allows MIDI in though. I do my backing tracks in Pro Tools and produce one mp3 in stereo for music and another for the click track. Both of these recordings imported into SLM via iTunes and played together - music through iTrack dock, click through headphones, into separate PA mixer channels. Have had no problem with playback sync of both recordings.