Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Setlist Maker + DB90 + Pedal Board Tempo set/start

Started by jlbourge, November 04, 2016, 09:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlbourge

arlo

My iPad Air 2 doesn't vary by more than 2.5%, and I would expect an iPhone 7 to be more accurate than that. Are you using the latest app version that was released last week?

jlbourge

arlo

Does this work better in the new app version released today?

jlbourge

Just tried it with the newest version of the app thru both my iPhone 7 and our iPad 2(.5) thru our Alesis dock. We got these same results on both devices. We didn't have the iRig on us at the time of this video but ill follow back once we test it with that instead of the dock. We tested this video with multiple midi cables and got the same result.

https://youtu.be/g_9ou-QhAvA

jlbourge

So we tried it with the iRig, taking the dock and the 30pin to lightning adapter out of the equation. The tempos are MUCH more solid.. alternating somewhat but I'd say 90% on point. When the signal makes it to the eventide which handles the delay effect, there's still a "warble" sound but it's almost hard as hell to notice and it's kinda rare in occurrence. This is happening cause the tempo is still varying a little here and there.

Do you think the midi clock can be any more solid than this last update you did? I ask because this is damn near awesome for us and we'd love to use this rather than going an ableton/laptop route.

arlo

When you say 90% accurate, are you talking about with the iPad 2 or with the iPhone 7? I would suggest that you don't even bother with the iPad 2 if maximum accuracy is your goal. That's a five year old device running a much heavier operating system than it was originally designed to run. But if you're getting the same performance with the iPhone 7, then my concerns about that are wrong.

jlbourge

i mean the ipad2 and iphone 7 are both producing the same results. Like, the tempo is almost dead solid across the DB90, eventide, and disaster area. It's just creating a little up and down on the eventide, causing a slight delay warble every once and a while.

overall im saying whatever adjustments you did to the MIDI clock on that last patch were awesome. Im just seeing if you were able to get it even closer.

arlo

Okay. When you say 90%, is that something you can measure, or just an estimate? When connecting an iPad Air 2 to a Mac via wi-fi, I'm seeing a maximum fluctuation of 3 ms, which is only a .6% variance at 120bpm. That might still be enough to create the "warble" you're hearing, I'm just trying to identify precisely what the problem is.

jlbourge

Sorry I should have said it's an estimate and really I should've said 95%. We will be in the rehearsal room testing it out much more thoroughly tonight. I'll let you know how it goes!

arlo

I've heard from a few people that my optimization was confusing some MIDI devices, which apparently don't interpret the beat clock messages according to MIDI standards. Anyway, I reverted this change for the next app version because it seems to be creating new problems without really solving the current problem. Hopefully I can come up with a different optimization in the future.

gearstudios

I'm experiencing the same issue with inter app midi clock. Apps receiving midi clock from BandHelper show the bpm jumping erratically and causing fluttering with with the sound when playing software synths on my iPad Pro.

arlo

Can you guys try turning on Help > Utilities > Use Old Audio Engine? I think that will be less accurate for audio tempo clicks, but might be more accurate for sending the MIDI clock.

arlo

In the latest iOS apps (BandHelper 4.1.12 and Set List Maker 6.1.10), you can turn on Help > Utilities > Use New MIDI Beat Clock to try some new code. It runs much more accurately for me. How does it work for you?