Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

SLM & MIDI keyboard; patch change turning off output

Started by Daddyg, January 16, 2017, 05:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddyg

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

SLM on a iPad sending program changes to my Kurzweil PC3.  I've been using this setup a long time, but recently made some changes (factory reset) to the PC3, and created some MIDI presets for songs we do.   

I've isolated this to the point that I know it's the a patch change sent by SLM that "turns off" the PC3 sounds.  No other way to get those sounds back without a hard reset, or "MIDI reset" on the Kurzweil.  Thought it was just one MIDI preset that was doing it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  If I'm not connected to the iPad, it doesn't happen. 

On the MIDI Status window in SLM, it appears that this is the data that turns off the output of the PC3:

-sending data [BF, 20, 00, CF, 0B]

If the 00 is changed to an 01, it appears to toggle the outputs back on, which seems to be sent when choosing another preset....but sometimes not.  A MIDI reset from the Kurzweil always brings it back.  I can't discern any different info in the MIDI preset that creates with the string with 00, vs. the ones that send a 01.

I have gigs coming up this weekend, and I've grown so used to having the patch changes triggered as I call up a song.  I also can't afford to have the PC3 cutting out between songs, then having to go through the process of doing a MIDI reset....so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

arlo

I'm not clear what your question is. You're sending a program change that turns off the keyboard's sound and you want to know how to stop doing that?

Daddyg

Hi Arlo.  Sorry it wasn't clear.

Yes, I do NOT want to send a message to turn off the PC3's output.  I don't know how this started.  I've tried to delete certain MIDI presets that seemed to trigger this behavior, then re-create the preset, but this hasn't stopped it from occurring with other presets.  I can't see anywhere in the configuration of the MIDI preset why this is occurring. 

To try to diagnose, I watched the MIDI status window in SLM to see what was being sent, and I get the MIDI string I posted initially.  When the PC3s output is disabled, the string appears to contain an "00".   When it resets, that string now contains an "01".   I thought that info would be pertinent to troubleshooting this.

Any help appreciated.

arlo

BF 20 00 select bank LSB 0. You could look at your presets and remove any 0's in the program change LSB fields, or change them to 1's. Does that help?

Daddyg

Thanks Arlo...I appreciate your responses.

Thinking of not using SLM's patch changes for this upcoming gig, then going through things when there's more time to scrutinize what exactly is causing this behavior.  I'll try changing the 0's to 1's.

Again...I appreciate it.