Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Song selection

Started by Kiff, March 02, 2017, 12:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiff

Hi to all,

Setlist maker.
In the Layout settings under "Song selection actions" you can switch on "Play recording"
which will then trigger any title you touch in a show list.
This can be problematic if touched by accident on stage when searching for a particular title to play next, and would result in cutting off the currently playing song.
We all have different ways of working, and in my case I have three very short sound fx files that need to be triggered instantly, and another 40 or so that don't.
In a perfect world the setting for "play recording" located in the Layout section would be accessed in the "Song".
I would then for example have my 3 instantly require files at the top of the show list and the rest selectable without risk.
For the sake of clarity a song triggered by selection is one touch only, a song which can be manually selected by sorting has two touches involved "the selection and then the play or trigger.
Looking for any suggestions / comment.
Cheers
Kiff

arlo

At the end of the list of song selection actions, you can turn on Trigger On Second Selection. Does that help?

Kiff

Hi Arlo,

Yes it does, but it still requires two touches where one would be accurate and precise
when timing is of the essence. To be fair, it would just make the process perfect if a show can
have a combination of instant one touch and select/sortable songs.
It doesn't really matter to me where that sort of setting is located, you would have a better handle on that, its just a fine detail that would show yet another point of difference for SLM.

Cheers
Kiff

arlo

You can add the recording button to your song list, then you can play the recordings for some songs immediately by tapping directly on the recording buttons and play the recordings for other songs indirectly by selecting the song twice using the song selection action and the Trigger on Second Selection setting.

Kiff

Thanks Arlo, have experimented further and happy to go with that,
just one other thing..
Would you consider a "Back to the top" button for the show list?
I have over 100 songs, so BTTT would be so handy.

Cheers
Kiff

arlo

Do you mean to scroll to the top of the song list when viewing a show?

Kiff

Yes, instantly to the top of the list,
A configurable choice as in "adding a new song" would be even better, though I am not sure how that choice would work, maybe a song number.
It would just get you to your preferred location quickly.
Cheers

arlo

Have you considered using smart lists instead of shows? That is an easier way to select from your entire song list, and provides shortcuts to jump to each section of the smart list -- for example, to jump to each letter when sorting alphabetically -- so then you could tap the first shortcut to jump to the top.

Kiff

Yes i have tried that, however I do keep certain sound fx and break music files at the top of any list i use.
These are files that have to be available to me on an instant basis, so the need to get to the top quickly is paramount. Yes i could press "A" on a smart list to get there as long as the attempt doesn't yeid B or C which has happened on a few occasions, and sometimes the song next to A.
In a smart list I would then have to put the show in some sort of smart list order depending on type, and my show is not regimented in that way because of the need to place other files in strategic groups.
My icon of a speaker is large, and I don't make any mistakes when using it, if another strategically placed icon took me back to the top of my unique show my day would be complete.
A lot of websites use "back to the top" at the end of a scroll down, was just hoping this wasn't a major for you.
Cheers

arlo

I think a better solution in that scenario would be a way to add recording buttons directly to a layout, for recordings that you might want to access at any time regardless of the current song. I've had similar request for MIDI presets. This is on my wish list and I'll let you know if I can add it.

Kiff