Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

New device linking system

Started by arlo, April 28, 2017, 10:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

I've just released new app versions* with a revamped device linking system that should discover other devices more quickly, transmit data more efficiently and be less susceptible to crashes. The new system can also work without a wi-fi router if you are using only iOS devices.

Please note that the new system is not compatible with the old system. If you have updated any of the apps in your band, you will either need to update all of them to use the new system, or turn on Help > Utilities > Use Old Peer Networking in the new version to use the old system. Then when all the apps are updated, you can turn off Old Peer Networking to use the new system.

* BandHelper iOS 3.1.10, BandHelper Android 2.1.8, Set List Maker iOS 5.1.10 and Set List Maker Android 2.1.8

Ruckman65

I note that the option to add the device ID in the Select A Device screen has been replaced with the 'Refresh' option. Depending on which network I am using, previously, the only way for two devices to see each other was to add the device ID. This does not appear to have changed. Without the option of entering the device ID, iPad 1 cannot find iPad 2.

arlo

Entering an ID is not needed if both devices are using the new system. If you are having trouble with this, please submit a help ticket:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

Ruckman65

I tried it again today and it works. Not sure why it would not work yesterday but it really doesn't matter. Thank you for the advice, Arlo.

Dutch

Will this work with an older version of iOS ?  We got an iPad 2 that won't take 10.3.1

Ruckman65

Hey Dutch. It works under iOS 9.3.5 on two of my older iPads.

Dutch

Great !  Thanks for the reply.  I've got another practice on Monday so I'll try it out.

Dutch

Ok so how do I tell my iPad to use WiFi instead of Bluetooth

"Device linking between iOS devices works without a router or an Internet connection. iOS will automatically select either Bluetooth or wi-fi to transmit data between devices. To force iOS to use wi-fi (which is faster), you can turn off Bluetooth in your device settings."

I don't want to turn off Bluetooth as I'm using it with a pedal to change pages in my documents.

arlo

I haven't found a way to force iOS to use wi-fi other than to turn off Bluetooth. So you won't be able to do that if you need Bluetooth for a foot switch. I'm not sure, but iOS might switch over to wi-fi automatically if it ends up sending a lot of data, which would be the case with screen sharing. With remote control, the speed shouldn't matter because the amount of data to be sent is so small.

Dutch

No problem  I've been using the router you recommended and it works just fine for our own private WIFI network at gigs.

fleahead

Does it matter if the iPads are already connected to an existing router? When the iPads do link to each other via wifi, will that be indicated in the wifi settings of the iPads? We currently link over our own router that is built in to our rack, but this would be handy in case of router failure, but we,veg never been able to link without a router.
Jim in Ohio

arlo

Does it matter if the iPads are already connected to an existing router?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

When the iPads do link to each other via wifi, will that be indicated in the wifi settings of the iPads?

I would expect that if the devices are only connected directly via wi-fi, but not connected to a router, then the system wi-fi icons wouldn't show that you're connected to anything.

Mr. K. Ross "Kim" Gardner

Quote from: arlo on April 28, 2017, 10:50:49 AM
I've just released new app versions* with a revamped device linking system that should discover other devices more quickly, transmit data more efficiently and be less susceptible to crashes. The new system can also work without a wi-fi router if you are using only iOS devices.

Please note that the new system is not compatible with the old system. If you have updated any of the apps in your band, you will either need to update all of them to use the new system, or turn on Help > Utilities > Use Old Peer Networking in the new version to use the old system. Then when all the apps are updated, you can turn off Old Peer Networking to use the new system.

* BandHelper iOS 3.1.10, BandHelper Android 2.1.8, Set List Maker iOS 5.1.10 and Set List Maker Android 2.1.8

Arlo,  if the user selects device linking and there are no devices to be found, the app hangs and then I have to close it and reopen it afresh. There does not appear to be a way to tell it, "OOps, sorry, shouldn't have clicked that, ... let's go back to where we were." Am I doing something wrong?P

arlo

Arlo,  if the user selects device linking and there are no devices to be found, the app hangs and then I have to close it and reopen it afresh.

I haven't seen that. Please submit a help ticket if you want to troubleshoot it:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

dr_rollo

We're using device linking in that case, that I share my screen to our singer, she does need need any individual documents. Also I placed another iPad to our guitar player, sharing the screen, just for better communication from one side of the stage to the other. He's still using Setlistmaker with his personal documents on his own iPad.
Since we have a Cisco router on stage, the connection is very stable. But one thing you need to do, before starting the device linking is to stop the auto-sync as we don't have internet connection on our stage WiFi.