Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Device linking general question

Started by dr_rollo, May 26, 2017, 01:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_rollo

Hi, device linking is now working great and good enough to use it on stage.
But...
I understood that there are two options,

• Mirroring the display,
  • Controlling an existing setlist on all remote connected devices. The set list needs to be synchronized on all devices
Unfortunately not that way that we need. We don't have a set list created before the gig. Usually we're playing about 6 hours, 10-12 Sets, decide on stage on demand before each set which are the next songs.

Mirroring could work if we would all use the same sheet or document, but instead we all have an individual doc, or having at least individual annotations.

Normally we don't have an Internet connection to synchronize. Also - and what is an important purpose for linking devices - we need to add very quickly an additional song at the end of a set. Often the communication is hard til every band mate get this song.

arlo

If you're using device linking for remote control (not screen sharing), you generally need to have the same data on all the devices. That means you need to sync the databases over the Internet before the gig.

The exception is that a song added to a set list with the Quick Add button in the set list view will be added in the same set list on the other devices, assuming that song exists on the other devices.

So basically the three supported methods of selecting songs on the fly, as described in the FAQ, will all work through device linking, without an Internet connection.

dr_rollo

When you say 'have the same data', you point to the fact that this including the actual setlist, too. We're using the same database, incl. same songs, but individual docs, but the setlist we're using at a gig will be created on demand while the gig.
I've just thought about a workaround and checked the Quick Add button to enter another song ad hoc. It works, but I cannot use it to create the setlist on stage, as I just thought because it will not add those songs to the setlist.
So I've jut tried another idea, using a smart list. The app is quite good enough to select any song from the database very quickly even it contains about 300 Songs as our database. I will try this option on the next gig.

arlo

Why do you say the quick add button "will not add those songs to the setlist"? That's what that button is for. Typically it would be used to add one or two songs when you take a request that wasn't on your list, it could be used to build the whole set list, one song at a time. However, that probably wouldn't be as efficient as using a smart list.

If you didn't see it before, please see "How can I add or rearrange my songs while performing a show?" in the FAQ mentioned above:

http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/setlistmaker/support/FAQ.html

cpwaites

I have discovered the wonders of wireless MIDI and am experimenting with that as a different approach to linking iPads on stage.  It seems to be very stable.  Each song has a unique Program Change number assigned to it.  There is a corresponding MIDI Preset that calls up that song and then at the remote end it is up to the user to set whether song selection also opens up Document 1.  The beauty is that each user can have a different Doc 1 that meets his needs.   If users need to scroll the doc, I can also trigger to play the automation for each user. The automations can also vary by each user's need.  I have a master iPad and a foot controller at my keyboard rig to run it all.  Rolling this out on stage tonight in a low pressure situation (meaning if it goes down in flames, we will still be just fine).