Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Device Linking With No Router

Started by fleahead, June 05, 2017, 07:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleahead

Exactly what are the steps to link two iPads with no wifi router used? My master is iPad3 and the slave is ipad2. Both are running the latest release. We link fine using a wifi router, but can't establish a link with the router off.
Jim in Ohio

arlo

You don't have to do anything special, other than have iOS app version 5.1.10 or newer, and not have Use Old Peer Networking turned on. I just tried this with an iOS 10 device connecting to an iOS 10 device, an iOS 10 device connecting to an iOS 8 device and an iOS 8 device connecting to an iOS 10 device, and didn't see any problems.

When you turn your router off, are your devices defaulting to some other wi-fi network? You can make sure by opening the device settings and looking at the wi-fi page. If there is a wi-fi network connected, you can click the info icon and then click Forget This Network. Repeat as needed until no networks are connected.

Alternatively, you can turn off wi-fi from that device settings page, but then your devices will only use Bluetooth, which is slower.

fleahead

The connection is made with the iPad wifi then... we would not want to have the iPad wifi off then. Should we see each other iPads as a wifi signal?
Jim in Ohio

fleahead

Tried again at a gig today. Neither iPad was on a wifi connection. However, both iPads are running iOS 9. Is that compatable?
Jim in Ohio

arlo

QuoteShould we see each other iPads as a wifi signal?

You would only see the other iPad in the device linking "Select a Device" popup window.

QuoteBoth iPads are running iOS 9. Is that compatable?

I think so, but I don't have a device with iOS 9 currently. I did confirm with iOS 8 and 10, so I would expect 9 to also work. Maybe someone else can add their findings with this?

Meanwhile, it might be helpful to post a screen shot of your wi-fi settings page.