Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Advice please on connecting multiple devices

Started by JerryK, June 19, 2017, 07:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryK

I use an iPad Air2 on iOS 10.3 with BH. 
It currently connects via Bluetooth to an iRig Blueboard for song changes, position changes when my drummer isn't around to send control messages. 
When he IS around, we use WiFi of course for sync messages but I connect the bluetooth device anyway in case of anything
Can anyone assure me that I can ALSO run MIDI over USB from the iPad to control a multi effects footswitch, or is this asking too much?  I need to decide whether to spend hundreds of beer vouchers on that effects board.
Thanks
Jerry

arlo

I don't see why that wouldn't work. But it sounds like you're asking for real-world experience, so hopefully someone else can add their assurances.

(You found a place where you can buy gear with beer vouchers?!)

JerryK

Yes, they come in $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 denominations. Very handy.

JerryK

Just to wrap up here, My iRig Blueboard works well for me, allowing me to choose next/previous song, plus Restart and PageDown. Many other choices are possible but these suit me.
It works at the same time as 'following' the drummer's BH and also while sending Midi timing clock to my Line6 Helix guitar floor unit for delay (echo) timing.
All that's missing for me is the means to easily 'connect' the iRig Blueboard without backing out 4 pages, doing the deed and then going forward again to the setlist.  It would be great to see that widget/button/option under one of the buttons on the screen, whether Midi, Pedal, Linking, wherever.
Good job Arlo
Jerry

arlo

Are you referring to the Settings > Audio & MIDI > Connect to a Bluetooth Device button? Moving that to one of the toolbar buttons is on my to do list.

Zionplayer

@Jerryk - question for you. Do you run the iRig Blueboard app in your setup?  I purchased two of these, one for me and one for my drummer, and it does great for me on my Air 2 but the Bluetooth won't stay connected with his iPad 2 for more than a few seconds.  I don't know enough to troubleshoot, but one difference is I run the App on my iPad and on his I haven't loaded it yet. 

JerryK

No, I don't use their app.  It just worked, as far as I can remember.
It does fail to connect sometimes, despite saying "connected".  It sometimes puts up the "pairing" prompt.
Have you ever 'connected' to the drummer's Blueboard? That might confuse things.

arlo

The Blueboard can operate in two modes, so it might be helpful to figure out which yours is configured to use, and make sure you're connecting the right way for that mode. More info is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,484.0.html

Zionplayer

The Blueboard I use with my Air 2 is using mode 1, works like a charm.

The other one, I tried Mode 1 and Mode 2 - but neither would stay connected to the iPad (the Bluetooth - would connect, then drop, connect, then drop. Never got to press a button).  I did not try the native mode with the iRig app, and will do that next practice.

Uwe

Try switching of wifi or change to 5Mhz Band.
This a known issue with several iPads.

Zionplayer

Will give that a shot next practice.  Thanks!

arlo

Quote from: JerryK on August 23, 2017, 03:38:04 PM
All that's missing for me is the means to easily 'connect' the iRig Blueboard without backing out 4 pages, doing the deed and then going forward again to the setlist.  It would be great to see that widget/button/option under one of the buttons on the screen, whether Midi, Pedal, Linking, wherever.

In the new app version released yesterday, the Bluetooth MIDI buttons have been moved to the MIDI Status window, which you can open by clicking the MIDI icon in the top toolbar. More info about the new version is here:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,1785.0.html