Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

My MIDI Presets have stopped sending patch changes to the iRig MIDI 2

Started by DaveCarusoMusic, June 26, 2017, 04:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveCarusoMusic

Hello!

I installed the latest Set List Maker app update when it was released.  I haven't used the app since then.

I moved the keyboard, iRig MIDI 2, cables and iPad to a different location (rehearsal space).  Now when I choose a Show and a set list, then touch a MIDI Preset, no lights will light up on the iRig MIDI 2, which means no patch change is being sent through it.  Everything used to work perfectly, so I assume I'm forgetting or missing something. 

No MIDI settings have been changed on the synthesizer.  All cable connections are firm and rechecked.  I'm using an Apple "Y" cable out of the iPad, then the iRig MIDI 2 cable into the iRig, then a MIDI cable into the IN of the synth.  No cables have changed since I set everything up, so it can't be a bad cable.  The iPad is not in airplane mode.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!

Dave

arlo

Does the MIDI icon in the top toolbar blink when you select a preset?

DaveCarusoMusic

DaveCarusoMusic

Yes, the MIDI icon in the top toolbar blinks and the MIDI icon on the preset turns RED.  But no indicators light on the iRig MIDI 2 when I press a preset.  What does that tell us?

arlo

Please do that again, then tap the MIDI icon in the top toolbar to open the MIDI Status window, then either post a screen shot or copy and paste its activity log here.

DaveCarusoMusic

arlo

Because your MIDI interface isn't listed among the connected ports, and the lights on the MIDI interface don't blink, it looks like Core MIDI on your iPad isn't recognizing your MIDI interface. You could verify that's not a problem with your Set List Maker setup by using another app like MIDI Wrench to send some data and see if that activates the lights.

I'd test the connections from the iPad to the MIDI interface. I'm not sure what Y cable you're referring to, but can you temporarily remove that? And do you have an alternative for the second cable? The cables from the MIDI interface to your synthesizer don't seem to be an issue.

DaveCarusoMusic

Great call.  Everything works as before without the Y cable. 

The white, Belkin Y-connector I'm using has a male lightning connector on one side and two female lightning connectors on the other.  I bought it from the Apple store, on recommendation from a salesperson.  It's meant to allow you to use your lighting port for power and for a second task, such as headphones.

I see now that I must not have tested it before the rehearsal (I bought it after getting everything running and assumed it would work).  Its ports should work the same way as the one on the iPad.  But I get the impression that they don't pass MIDI on.  Since I'd prefer to keep the device plugged into power during shows, I'll research if another Y cable will do what this one won't.

Thank you for your help.

arlo

Okay, please post back here if you find an alternative that works.