Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Phasing Out Database Syncing

Started by arlo, July 10, 2017, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jürgen

Hi Arlo, I read all the feeds on this page but still have a question: is it then still necessary to purchase the in-app feature for database sync when using the export function? When I try to follow your description settings-> database sync-> delete name -> disable auto syc the app says that I need to purchase the sync add on.
Best regards
Jürgen

arlo

Hi Arlo, I read all the feeds on this page but still have a question: is it then still necessary to purchase the in-app feature for database sync when using the export function?

No, you don't need to purchase the database sync upgrade to use the new export/import function. If you have not purchased it, you can ignore the Settings > Database Sync page and just click the export/import button in the top toolbar to access those functions.

zygor

cmarino

Arlo,

I just setup a 30 day trial account for BandHelper to explore migrating as I really like the sync function.
Is there a way to import the .db file exported from set list maker into my bandhelper account or do I have to manually add all songs and playlists from every database from scratch?
The export/import arrangement works fine on iOS devices, but sucks on the Android devices, as there is no way to export directly from set list maker to Dropbox.
Is this something you can add as a feature?

Thanks,

Chet Marino

cmarino

Please disregard my last post, I figured out how to do it.

johnplanetz

Thinking about making the switch. I have a couple questions:
- if we try out band helper but then eventually decide to go back to set list maker, will it be possible to export a database from band helper and import back into set list maker?
- is it possible to have more than one database defined in a single band helper account? Is there a limit to how many?

Thanks!
-John

arlo

- if we try out band helper but then eventually decide to go back to set list maker, will it be possible to export a database from band helper and import back into set list maker?

No. If you're not sure you want to switch, you would have to maintain your data in both products while you're evaluating BandHelper, then either abandon one or the other when you decide.

- is it possible to have more than one database defined in a single band helper account? Is there a limit to how many?

Yes, you can import multiple Set List Maker databases into separate projects in a single BandHelper account, and no, there's no limit to how many:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/projects.html

bronnos

Hi Arlo,

In contrary to jjoelson I do not like the subscription model that much and I do not see all the benefits jjoelson describes for the "consumer". I am still using apps that work just fine for which development has stopped for years, or I did not saw the need to upgrade for extra money because the app was already good enough for me as it is.. And with web based apps if a dev stops..most of the time the service stops right away..

But hey, it is the new way of doing things in this ever changing world and I do understand the benefits from a developer side. The functionality of Set List Maker for me was just perfect as it was, so for me this change is a step backwards.
But as this is the best app around and I am very glad that at least someone like Arlo is putting out great software like this for the musician I'm going to make the plunge to Bandhelper, just to support the further development :)

Regards..

arlo

I am still using apps that work just fine for which development has stopped for years, or I did not saw the need to upgrade for extra money because the app was already good enough for me as it is.

I'm glad you're planning to switch to BandHelper, but to be clear, the only thing changing in Set List Maker is the server-based sync functionality. Some reasons why BandHelper, which has more server-based functionality, uses a subscription are in the last question of this FAQ:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/FAQ.html

Moon Dog

Quote from: arlo on August 16, 2017, 05:34:05 PM
No. If you're not sure you want to switch, you would have to maintain your data in both products while you're evaluating BandHelper, then either abandon one or the other when you decide.

Yes, you can import multiple Set List Maker databases into separate projects in a single BandHelper account, and no, there's no limit to how many:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/projects.html

Hey Arlo,
First thanks for your work on these apps that so many of us run our shows on now...me for many years.

As many on here are making the plunge to BH, I am as well. You deserve the recurring revenue without a doubt.

So here are a few of my current discoveries.
I have multiple Databases (DBs) in SLM.
I have imported 2 different DBs into 2 different Projects as you recommended above, but had problems. Lots of Documents and Recording references came over with the few songs in my second DB. (I say references as you still have to do separate bulk imports to get the actual PDF documents and Recording MP3s.)

These Doc and Recording references were duplicates from my original import and now I have a problem right.

I put in a support ticket and got this response today from Brandon Wright:

" ....The Set List Maker to BandHelper data import process was designed to be a one-time procedure. The expectation was that once you imported your data into BandHelper, you would make any further changes in BandHelper rather than in Set List Maker.

The document and recording areas in Set List Maker are shared between databases, so they must be included in this export process (even if your database includes only three songs) or the import will be incomplete. This is why your new export produced those duplicates.

At this point I think you have a couple of options. You can clean up the duplicates you've imported (which should be easier in the browser interface, for what it's worth), or we can clear your entire BandHelper account and you can re-import your entire Set List Maker database again. But that import process is intended to be a one-time thing...so any additional changes you make to your Set List Maker database after performing the export and import into BandHelper would then need to be made in both apps.

If you'd like us to clear your BandHelper account so you can start over, let us know. Thanks!"

So after reading this forum and getting this message I am confused. If someone has 5 DBs lets say and imports those into 5 different Projects, per Mr. Wright above won't I have 5 copies of all the documents and recordings in the Band Helper DataBase?

I really need to make sure I know whats going on here. My shows depend on all of this working and therefore I must maintain my SLM system and continue my development of new songs there until I know for sure all this will work in BH.

Thanks.

arlo

Set List Maker doesn't have the ability to separate documents per database (all documents are shared by all databases). If this leads to duplicate metadata being imported with multiple databases, you can delete that using the batch delete button on the Repertoire > Documents page of the BandHelper website. You should be able to see which are the duplicates because they will have a name but not a file icon (assuming you did upload the files when you did the first import).

EverlyOthers

Hiya.

I use Set List Maker on my iPad, and I also have an iPhone on my same Apple ID, so the Set List Maker App syncs between my devices.  Will this change, or will they still sync between devices due to be on the same Apple ID?

arlo

Set List Maker syncing isn't related to your Apple ID (otherwise you wouldn't be able to sync with your bandmates). You must be using the database sync function, so you'll have to use one of the alternatives outlined above.

EverlyOthers

Oh pants!  OK, so from what I understand, is the easiest way around this by using the Import/Export option?

I use my iPad as my main device, so do I Export all my databases to my cloud, then get my iPhone and Import all the databases back down from the cloud onto the iphone? Can you do all the databases at once or one by one?

I probably won't attempt this until after New Years Eve as I have loads of gigs throughout December and cannot afford to loose anything!!!!

arlo

I use my iPad as my main device, so do I Export all my databases to my cloud, then get my iPhone and Import all the databases back down from the cloud onto the iphone? Can you do all the databases at once or one by one?

Yes, you could do that. You'll have to one database at a time. Then you can leave those exported files on your cloud account and that will serve as a backup.