Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Connecting and Switching TWO Soundmodules

Started by Ray, July 29, 2017, 02:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

English version below.

Hallo an die MIDI-Experten,

ich benutze an meinem Akustik-Drumset zusätzlich ein Alesis SamplePad Pro. An den Ausgängen Kick, Pad1 und Pad2 sind Trigger angeschlossen, die auch tadellos funktionieren. Ich steuere das SamplePad über ein iRig2 mit Setlist Maker auf meinem iPad. Das Umschalten der Presets des SamplePad funktioniert über Setlist Maker per Program-Change-Befehl einwandfrei. Die Soundausgabe erfolgt in Mono über MainOut/L.
Verkabelung: iRig2 Midi-OUT - SamplePad Midi-IN, siehe Abbildung (grüne Verbindungen).

Nun meine Frage:
Da mir die Anzahl der Trigger, die das Samplepad Pro zusätzlich zu den integrierten Pads anbietet nicht reicht, beabsichtige ich zusätzlich das Alesis Sample Rack mit einzubinden. Ich möchte beim Umschalten in Setlist Maker von einem Song zum anderen, dass beide Soundmodule gleichzeitig einen Program-Change-Befehl erhalten und jedes Modul in ein bestimmtes Preset umschaltet.

Es soll nur eines der beiden Geräte den Sound an die PA abgeben.

Mir ist allerdings nicht klar, ob sich das überhaupt realisieren lässt. Könnte mir ein MIDI-Kenner evtl. weiterhelfen, wie ich die Konstellation verkabeln und welche Einstellungen ich in Setlist Maker vornehmen muss?

Vielen Dank
Ray

English:

Hello, to the MIDI experts,

additional to my acoustic drumset I use an Alesis SamplePad Pro. Triggers are connected at Kick, Pad1 and Pad2. I use Setlist Maker on my iPad. The iPad is connected via iRig2 to the SamplePad.

Switching the presets of the SamplePad by Setlist Maker using program change order works perfectly. The sound issue occurs in Mono via Main-Out.
Connections: iRig2 Midi OUT - SamplePad Midi-IN, see picture (green connections).

Now my question:
Because I need much more triggers than in SamplePad integrated I intend to integrate, in addition, the Alesis SampleRack with.
I want to switch both soundmodules at the same time by using the program-change order in Setlist Maker.

Only one of the both modules should bring all sounds out to the P.A.

However, to me is not clear whether this can be realised generally. Could a MIDI expert help me, how to cable the constellation and how to make the settings in Setlist Maker?

Thank You
Ray

arlo

Regarding the SamplePad MIDI Out to the SampleRack MIDI In: normally you would use a MIDI Thru jack instead of MIDI Out, to pass MIDI that originated on a device earlier in the chain. It's possible the SamplePad has a "thru mode" that will treat the MIDI Out jack like a MIDI Thru. If not, you would need to replace the iRig with a two-port MIDI hub that can connect to both the SamplePad and SampleRack.

Regarding the SampleRack Main (audio) Out to the SamplePad Aux In: I'm guessing this will be fine and the SamplePad will mix the incoming aux audio with the audio it generates (using the volume knob next to the Aux In jack). Of course, if it doesn't, you could run both audio outs to a mixer.

Ray

Thank You, Arlo,

unfortunately SamplePad and SampleRack do not support MIDI-Through.

I need the iRig to charge the iPad while sending MIDI-Data. So I don't want to replace it.

Would you think this one can be used to send the SLM-MIDI-Data from the iPad through iRig to SamplePad (MIDI-IN) AND SampleRack (MIDI-IN) simultaneously: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodthr.htm

Maybe the best way to bring both sounds to the audition is to send the audio separated to the mixer. Please see attachment.

If this would work, then maybe the next questions are how to configure the MIDI-Data in Setlist Maker.

Long Live Rock'n' Roll
Ray

arlo

Yes, that MIDI Thru box should do the job. You could also search the web for "MIDI splitter" to find similar products.

For merging the audio, I would try your original idea first, and send the separate signals to the mixer if that doesn't work.

Ray

Hi Arlo,
everything works great.

SLM Preferences - Add Midi-Devices: "SamplePad" Channel 1
SLM Preferences - Add Midi-Devices: "SampleRack" Channel 2
SLM Preferences - Audio&Midi: Midi-Presets send together
SLM Midi-Preset Song: ProgramChanges for both devices

"SamplePad" Preferences: Midi receive channel 1
"SampleRack" Preferences: Midi receive channel 2

Connections:
"IPad" Midi --> "iRig" --> "Midi-Solutions Thrue" IN
"Midi-Solutions Thrue" OUT1 --> "SamplePad" Midi IN
"Midi-Solutions Thrue" OUT2 --> "SampleRack" Midi IN
"SampleRack" Main OUT --> "SampleRack" Aux IN
"SamplePad" Main OUT --> P.A. (so only one Mono-Channel or two for Stereo).

Thank you for SLM - this very helpful application - and your excellent support.

Cheers
Ray/Munich