Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Sending Preset changes to Voice Live 3

Started by Papa John, August 05, 2017, 05:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa John

Well....... After months of painful trial and error, I finally got my VL3 connected to my iPad running BandHelper.... It required an iConnection MIDI+2 device (with optional power supply so the iPad keeps charging while I am performing) .

Where I am currently stuck is sending program changes (Preset Selection) from BandHelper to  the VL3.... I can send program changes all the way up to 309 
  • [2][52] But nothing above that works...

Kind of a bummer since I started all my custom presets at 500 and worked backward.  It's also a very arbitrary point to stop working..

Anyone know why
  • [2][53] won't bring be to preset 310 or for that matter why
  • [3][115] won't bring me to preset 500?? 

Also, but slightly less important when I set BandHelper to record automation, it is not getting/recording actions when I press buttons on my VL3.   I know the MIDI signals get there because I'm able to learn my MIDI presets by just pressing the buttons on the VL3 and the midi codes come through just fine.

Thanks.,

arlo

Where I am currently stuck is sending program changes (Preset Selection) from BandHelper to  the VL3.... I can send program changes all the way up to 309 
  • [2][52] But nothing above that works...
I don't know what the VL3's capabilities are, but if you submit a help ticket, I can verify that BandHelper is sending the info that you've programmed into it:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia/

Beyond that, this sounds like a question for the makers of the VoiceLive.

Also, but slightly less important when I set BandHelper to record automation, it is not getting/recording actions when I press buttons on my VL3.

Automation tracks don't record incoming MIDI, they record your actions in BandHelper. You need to create MIDI presets, then you can record your actions of sending the presets. More info is here:

http://www.bandhelper.com/tutorials/performing.html#automation_tracks

Papa John

Thanks Arlo for your prompt replies... another reason BandHelper is the best!

I'll send you a help ticket regarding sending the program changes over 309... Another person on this thread is doing the exact same thing and he is not having a problem at all.  I suppose I could attach some sort of midi sniffer and see what is getting sent..

That's interesting about not recording the incoming midi events because there is a video on youtube of a guy doing it - although he was still using Set List Maker.  The workaround is just fine, I just can't do it while playing the song which would help with some of the trickier changes.

-John

arlo

That's interesting about not recording the incoming midi events because there is a video on youtube of a guy doing it - although he was still using Set List Maker.  The workaround is just fine, I just can't do it while playing the song which would help with some of the trickier changes.

What I think you're asking for is not possible in Set List Maker, either. The MIDI and automation track functionality is the same in both apps. You can use MIDI Learn to create presets, but that's different from recording incoming events into an automation track.

Moon Dog

Papa John...
You are in luck.
I did the research for you and now I am going to help you with your problem.

Typically my consulting fees start at $200 and hour, but since you are a fellow Bandhelper user, you get this for free.

Example: Preset 322. This is in the third line down (3rd Bank). Each Bank has 128 presets. Therefore the number that goes in TC needs to be between 1 and 128. So for Preset 322 you subtract 322 - 257 = 65. In other words you subtract the starting preset number in the bank from the Preset to get the Midi Program Change info.
0 2 65

208 would be:  208 - 129 = 79. So the Program code would be...
0 1 79

491 Woud be:  491- 385 = 106
Program Code: 0  3  106

MSB  LSB  VL3Bank        Program Ch.     VL3 Preset
0        0      0                  1 - 128             1 - 128
0        1      1                  1 - 128             129 - 256
0        2      2                  1 - 128             257 - 384
0        3      3                  1 - 128             385 - 400

Moon Dog

joebear

I know this thread is old. But in case anyone else is confused on this issue, I think it worth pointing out there is some misinformation promulgated above.

One cannot cause the TC helicon VoiceLive3 to switch to patches above 350 via MIDI. Full stop.

Bank 2, PC 93 gets you patch 350. Bank 2, PC 94 gets you ... crickets. bupkis. nuttin'

Sure, you can nav to higher patches via the dial. But not via MIDI.

OneDrinkPony

Can we not change the VoiceLive preset above # 128?

arlo

Quote from: OneDrinkPony on January 04, 2022, 07:17:27 AM
Can we not change the VoiceLive preset above # 128?

Moon Dog's post above shows how to do that with the bank LSB field.

MikeyJ

Quote from: joebear on April 12, 2021, 03:46:28 PM
I know this thread is old. But in case anyone else is confused on this issue, I think it worth pointing out there is some misinformation promulgated above.

One cannot cause the TC helicon VoiceLive3 to switch to patches above 350 via MIDI. Full stop.

Bank 2, PC 93 gets you patch 350. Bank 2, PC 94 gets you ... crickets. bupkis. nuttin'

Sure, you can nav to higher patches via the dial. But not via MIDI.

Just in case someone finds this via search I wanted to confirm that you can absolutely access all 500 presets via MIDI. One thing to keep in mind is that, if the preset doesn't already exist in the VL3 there is nothing to change TO and you won't see anything happen, not even an error message.

Here is a slightly modified version of Moon Dog's chart from above. Thanks for doing the hard work!

For this version of the chart to be accurate you'll need to change the Numbering setting in SLM/BH's MIDI Device setup to "1-128" since that's how the VL3 handles them. Then everything lines up nicely...the program change you enter is the preset you get. There was also a tiny typo in the original chart that listed the highest preset as 400 when it's actually 500.

These would be the settings in an SLM/BH MIDI Preset:

MSB  LSB  Program Ch. =  VL3 Preset
1       1      1 - 128             1 - 128
1       2      1 - 128             129 - 256
1       3      1 - 128             257 - 384
1       4      1 - 116             385 - 500

Hope this helps!