Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

FEATURE REQUEST: Tempo flash continues, click sound stops after time or measures

Started by Zionplayer, August 07, 2017, 08:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zionplayer

Been getting used to the program - excellent app, great functionality for performing musicians, and we use it just as it is and it helps tremendously. Still, I'm always thinking of ways to assist in better live performance, and just thought this one through today.

So my drummer likes hearing clicks when starting/going into the song, and he likes keeping the tempo flash for the whole song. However, the click can become really annoying/troublesome pretty quickly, and I started thinking about best of both worlds - Click sound on for first xx of song, then turns off. Flash stays on.

I did do a search - haven't seen this requested so it may be only me.

arlo

Correct, nobody has requested that before. Is the click sound annoying because the tempo drifts, and in that case, wouldn't the visual flash have also be distracting?

Zionplayer

No the click is right on - we humans tend to drift and I think that's a good thing, more natural. But when we drift and the click doesn't it creates tension and distraction for the musician, where the flash can be ignored but still used to keep us generally in time or to bring us back.  Click works fine for studio or recording, but I find live performances tend to need a little more flexibility.

Again - a small thing, as the rest of the program is stellar.  I also need to get my drummer a foot pedal so he can move song to song easier. Thanks for the info on $10 off deal! 

arlo

Right ... when I said "the tempo drifts" I meant the band drifts away from the click.

I do have a wish list item to manually mute the click sound with a remote control action (foot switch), so I'll add a vote for that.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest looking at a hardware solution like a small mixer placed among the drum kit that the drummer can use to turn down the click in his headphones ... that might be nice anyway to easily adjust the click volume from song to song ... or perhaps you can find some kind of switch that makes it easy to cut off the audio signal quickly while playing.

Zionplayer

Mute click with a footswitch - yep, would accomplish what I am after, so thanks for adding the vote.  We use IEM and he can turn the click down if he can get a hand free and remembers to do so - was just thinking to automate/remove that one more thing for him to remember.

Thanks again for a great product.

Awash (drums)

Hi, suggestion for muting by the drummer. Use a triggerpad in stead of a footswitch. More easy I think. Greatings.

JerryK

I'd like to add a vote in support of the original request.  Something like independent 'duration's for sound and visuals, including 'to end of song'.  A click is great for the start or first few bars - we can all hear them which is nice - but of course we drift off a little.  It's then nice to see the metronome blinking.  This is good for all of us via automation too.

arlo

arlo

While updating my wish list, I realized this function was added a few years ago: Settings > Tempo & Pitch > Auto-Mute Instead Of Auto-Stop. That means the tempo clicks will stop after the specified time or number of bars but the button will keep flashing.

JerryK

Many modern mixers can be set up to mute a channel(s) from a Bluetooth footswitch, probably Midi too.
I use Behringer XR18 and XR16 this way, with Mixing Station but there are many such combinations out there.
However, as Arlo says, BH can auto mute after x seconds or bars - same for every song, I think.