Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Linking iPad 2 to second Screen via Apple TV

Started by lowdencleere, November 05, 2013, 04:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowdencleere

Hi Guys,

I really want to get Screen Mirroring (iPad 2) with auto-scrolling up and running for one Bandmate (and then possibly more) !

The blue-tooth interface is not up to the task (as mentioned on the site)- the scrolling sync is way off the mark. So I propose the following:-

Procure a 10 inch HDMI Screen
Procure a simple cheap network router (which will be the Hub for the Band)
An Apple TV device (cheapest available)
       (..it starts to get expensive if you want everybody wireless - so perhaps a HDMI splitter for future multiple slave screens)

House the ATV and Router neatly at the back of the 10inch Screen - connect them with ethernet - connect ATV to Screen with HDMI cable. One mains lead (ATV) and 2 PSUs to tidy up....

Logon the iPad 2 (2nd Gen needed for true Mirroring of screen) and ATV on Band's portable WiFi network.
Enable Airplay/Mirroring on the iPad2 - Voila

Have I missed something here- I really don't need anyone else editing or changing settings.
One Master / Multiple Slaves (No Offence Guys...hehe)

If anyone can poke a hole in this before I go spending cash PLEASE DO....

Regards

Tony

arlo

I think all you need is the AppleTV and the screen ... what would you need the Ethernet hub for?

I'm pretty sure other bands are doing this, but I haven't tried it myself, so hopefully someone with first-hand experience will chime in here.

If you want to add more screens, the HDMI splitter is a good idea because currently you can't mirror to multiple AppleTVs.

If you want to save a little more and don't mind another cable on stage, you could also attach an HDMI adapter to the iPad and run a cable to the screen. But the HDMI adapter costs half as much as the AppleTV!

lowdencleere

Hi again,

You would need the Ethernet Hub to put the iPad and ATV on the same LAN - that's how mirroring works. There's no guarantee that the venue will provide suitable network connectivity.

I might look into the wired option.

Thanks,

I'll confirm how all this pans out when I get up and running....

Many thanks

Tony

arlo

Oh, I thought you could connect via wi-fi directly to an AppleTV as you would connect to a wireless hub. Upon further reading it looks like you're right and that you do need a separate wifi+ethernet hub that the iPad and AppleTV would both connect to.

lowdencleere

Late addition but I've been busy (sold our house etc...)

Finally got a simple mirroring setup running.
IPad 2. 17 inch pc monitor. VGA lead.

No problems.

Good luck to y'all