Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

midi programme numbering ins SLM - sending to iMidipatchbay

Started by joepno, August 27, 2017, 10:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joepno

Hi

I am using SLM together with iMidipatchbay for several years:
Today I updated iMidipatchbay and face a problem with calling Songs in iMidipatchbay. Still I think it might be a bug with SLM.
I am sending Program numbers from SLM to iMidipatchbay.
I have about 250 programs/songs in SLM and iMidipatchbay.

When SLM Midi numbering is set to 0-127 the SLM presets/programs with program number
128 and 129 do not switch any program in iMidipatchbay.
130 works, but calls program 132 in iMidipatchbay.
131 calls  133 and so forth.

When SLM Midi numbering is set to 1-128 the SLM presets/programs numbers are shifted by +1 automatically but program number
129 and 130 do not switch any program in iMidipatchbay.
131 works, but calls program 132 in iMidipatchbay.
132 calls  133 and so forth.

Does anyone have an explanation for that?

Thanks,
Joepno
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

arlo

All numbers in MIDI have a maximum value of 128, so I don't know how iMIDIPatchBay defines a program numbered 132. In standard MIDI, when you get to the 128th program, you have to move to the next bank to get the next set of 128, so perhaps iMIDIPatchBay is just continuing the numbering into the second bank. So you could try setting bank LSB 1 and then start over at 0 for the program number to access the higher programs.

If that doesn't work, you could ask the developer of iMIDIPatchBay, or I could ask him ... we have had nice communications on other topics.

joepno

When SLM is set to midi numbering 1-128 this what SLM sends for program

128, 129, 130, 131, respectively:

- sending data [CF, 7F] to all ports
- sending data [CF, 80] to all ports
- sending data [CF, 81] to all ports
- sending data [CF, 82] to all ports

Inputting 1 or 2 in the LSB field does not have any effect.

I will forward this chat to Johannes but it is probably more effective when pros communicate directly.

Thanks for your help.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

arlo

You shouldn't enter a number greater than 128 into a MIDI program change field. Values above that are undefined in the MIDI spec. I'm suggesting changing the bank MSB or LSB value to 2, then restarting at 1 for the program field (assuming 1-128 numbering). But the data you need to enter really depends on what iMIDIPatchBay is expecting to receive.